Alcohol Related Ascites/Liver Disease
My brother is 43 years old and has been an alcoholic for almost 30 years.  He is 5'8", approx 120 lbs and until Feb. 9th of this year, consumed approx. 30 - 40 oz. of hard liquor per day.  I finally got him into his Dr. when she sent us immedietely to hospital. His levels were very bad and we were told he had Ascites,  He was admitted and remained there for 2.5 weeks, until he became "medically stable."  My concern is his stomache.  It is very large still.  He is currently on Lactulose, Spiroton, Rabeprazole and Furosemide.  We were told that they can't do a Liver Biopsy until his stomache comes down but there has been no change, other than it has gotten slightly bigger since Feb. 9th.

He has a glazed look in his eyes, skin is yellow and he is very weak still.  He has no desire to drink again (he says) as he was told that had he not come into the Dr's when he did, he would've been dead within 1-2 months and that has scared the daylights out of him.

In your opinion, should we be preparing for the worst here?  

Please help as my sister, father and I are very, very concerned.
This post seems familar. Anyway, Alcoholic Liver Disease is worse than other liver diseases, except liver cancer. His stomach won't come down by itself. It takes a needle aspiration to drain the fluid. The asities will return. In order to get on a transplant list it takes at least 6 mos. of sobriety.