Gastroenterology Community
Alcoholic and diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Alcoholic and diarrhea

Hello, I have an embarrassing issue. I'm a female 29 years old and have been pretty healthy and responsible. about a year and a half ago, my husband and I started drinking a little more than a few glasses of wine or beer daily. My drink is rum. On a daily basis we go through a 5th of rum now for a year pretty much daily. My husband stopped, so I do about half of the bottle myself. Now I'm about to stop doing this because of the health factor and the weight gain, but Now for about a year I have had diarrhea daily and it's always watery and the color of the rum. Now when I don't drink for a few days I am fine. It slowly goes away. Is this only from the alcohol, or do I have a disease? I am pretty scared and need advice. I do not have health insurance so anything with a doctor and testing is so expensive I can't afford it. Can anyone let me know why this is happening?
I think you answered your own question.  If it goes away when not drinking then that's your answer.  Do like your husband did, your body is trying to tell you that it time to stop....listen to it.  Take care...
Yep, definately the booze.  I have that too when I drink, so I don't drink.  For me, it was a vicious cycle.  The drinks kept my spasms under control, for example, as we went out to dinner.  But the next day it was intensified (pain, spasms, cramping, and watery diarrhea) that I could not leave the house for that day.   I hope that helps...