Gastroenterology Community
Aloe Vera Toxicity

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Aloe Vera Toxicity

Has anyone ever heard of large amounts of oral Aloe Vera resulting in elevated liver enzymes? We are trying to figure out why my enzymes are elevated...just had a complete ultrasound, and all is normal with the exception of a 4CM. hemangioma(which I have had for 11 years). I was taking 600mgs red yeast rice and drinking one glass of wine with dinner prior to the fasting test, but it seems strange that this would cause an elevation approx. 3 times normal on the enzymes.....all other blood results were normal. The aloe I take is about 1000 mgs of polysaccharide extract. Thanks for any info. in advance. Wendy
-2 Comments Post a Comment
sorry, not going to be of help.  But what is the aloe vera good for?
I heard it is for GI tract?  Answer after you get some answers
                .......................georgie
May I ask why you were using the red yeast rice? Although you're using a fairly low amount, keep in mind that this product is basically 'a statin-like substance,' and as such it can cause liver enzyme alterations in some people. This might be the culprit.
I was using the RYR because everything I had read about it seemed to indicate it would lessen cholesterol without the side effects of a statin. Now I am finding out it has the same side effects. Possibly combining it with a glass of wine might have caused the elevated enzymes. In any case, I am off wine and RYR......and will repeat the blood tests in one month.I have also been tested for Celiac disease and I am clear.Should I be tested also for hepititis (hepatitis)? Wendy
I can't see why you should be tested for hep at this point. See what happens in a month. RYR can do a great job for some people. But it doesn't work for everyone.
RYR (unregulated) is so effective for cholesterol, works like a statin (regulated), and much cheaper than BigPharma statins, and without the expensive barrier of a doctor office visit + subscription.  

That's why BigPharma's loyal enforcement goons, aka the FDA, are threatening suppliers of RYR.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01678.html

Same FDA goon tactics for Mexican-yam-derived, bio-identical progesterone, which seriously competes with BigPharma synthetic progesterone.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01772.html

The objective of the FDA is to kill the entire supplement and herb industries by claiming everything is a drug, is FDA-controlled substance, must be subject to multi $100M testing to obtain FDA approval,  and is available only prescription, as if current prescription drugs were safe (ask Heath Ledger).

btw, dubya's packed SCOTUS may rule that BigPharma is untouchable by citizens if the citizens sue for death or injury, IF the drug were FDA-approved and BigPharma could show that it helped some people.   aka, the "shield" law, sought BigPharma since pre-history.  

iow, 10K deaths from Vioxx would be fine with SCOTUS, and beyond litigation,  if more than 80K peope benefited from Vioxx.  

I Just Recently Began A Personal Quest To Know Exactly What I Put In My Mouth For Food And Healing. What I Discovered To Be More Often Than Not Was, That Just Because It Has Been A Planet Wide Use Of A Specific Herb Or Remedy That Does Not Constitute It As A Safe Natural Effective Alternative. As A Matter Of Fact Being That I Was Taught As You That Aloe Vera Was Good For Healing. Let Me Share With You Some Little Known Facts About Aloe Vera. It Was When It Was Known As, Aloe Vera or “true Aloe,” Also Known Scientifically As Aloe Barbadensis Miller, That Is Used For Its Healing And Medicinal Properties. See The Problem That Existed Was That There Was A Need To Find Ways To Prevent The Aloe Vera Gel From Deteriorating, As This Could Happen Easily Due To Excessive Heat. It Took Many Years For This Problem To Be Solved. So Now Once Man Has Found A Way To Mass Produce A Product Of Nature It Is No Long A Product Of Nature It is A Man - Made Duplicate Better Known Today As  A 'Hybrid'. The Problem With Hybrids Is That The Body Is Organic And Can And Will Only Assimilate With Minerals Of Its Own Kind Or Let’s Say Genetic Disposition. Once A Hybrid Substance Or Inorganic Compound Has Entered The Body, The Body Then Processes That As A Poison Which We Know Are Processed By The Kidneys And In This Case What The "Liver". Also The Ingestion Of Aloe Vera May Be Associated With Diarrhea, Electrolyte Imbalance, Kidney Dysfunction, Or Drug Interactions, While Topical Application May Induce Contact Dermatitis, Erythema, Or Phototoxicity. Phototoxicity Is A Chemically Induced Skin Irritation. Which The Skin Response Resembles An Exaggerated Sunburn. So There Is Aloe Vera Good For Burns Or Skin Irritations Yes If You Want To Cause One. Please Research Everything That Goes Into Your Mouth. Whether It Be For Nourishment Or Healing.