Gastroenterology Community
Always feeling like Im going to gag

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Always feeling like Im going to gag

I have a really bad gag reflex, and for the last three months I've felt like dry heaving like 24/7!  My stomach doesn't hurt, I haven't thrown up, no diarrhea, no bloody stool, nothing out of the ordinary besides the feeling of constantly wanting to gag.  I went to the Dr and they put me on Allegra and Flonase since they think that I have allergies and I can feel mucus going down my throat and since I have a hyper active gag reflex that its making me want to gag.  I have been on the medicine for almost a week now and I notice no difference and I see feel like gagging all the time! The only thing that makes me feel better is having a piece of hard candy in my mouth.  I was also put on acid reflux medicine a while back b/c the Dr. at my college thought that was what was wrong but I tried that medicine for a month and it did absolutely nothing. Please help I can't function while feeling like this!
It sounds horrible, sorry you're going thru this...has the doctor looked down your throat or have you had an ultrasound to rule out any swelling in your throat??  Have you been to an ENT (ear, nose, throat doc)  You may be having spasms causing your gag reflex to go into overdrive...are you stressed out about anything??  Until you can see the proper doctor try to do some breathing exercises to relax...I know it sounds too easy but, concentrating on one's breathing can be very calming...also try swallowing hard a few times when the urge to gag hits...wish I could be of more help...good luck...let us know what happens
Man, what you described is exactly what I have been experiencing for the past 2 years. Every doctor I have seen about it looks at me like I'm crazy or something. The only time my gagging goes away is when I put a hard mint in my mouth. Sometimes it calms down and other days its uncontrollable. I hope they are able to find out what is causing it.

I gag when I smell something foul. I gag after I eat, and I gag alot when I'm sleepy. I'm tired of people telling me it's something mental. Because my throat goes off weather im stressed out or not.
i started gaging alot out of no where. i thought maybe it was post nasel drip. i finally got my thyroids checked. i have hyperthyriodism. i also have other symtoms (symptoms) tho. hyperthyriodism effects all parts of the body. my kidney is not functioning right. and i have inflammation that hurts my whole body. u may not have all the symtoms (symptoms) i have, but insist on getting ur thyroids check. even if the dr does nt feel swelling in ur throught, insist.
I am nauseated 24/7 and dry heave all the time, so I understand the feeling completely!  I am so sorry you are dealing with this.  They have not been able to figure out what is wrong with me and tried me on 1,000 different meds I swear.  One thing that I have noticed that gives a little relief are a little organic candy called "preggie pops".  They sell them at babies-r-us or online.  They are just hard little candies with natural ingredients and a lot of ginger.  They give relief from the gagging.  I still feel nauseated, but I don't dry heave and the gag reflex is lightened a little bit.  They are very delicious too!  It's just a suggestion.  If you can't find them or if you are interested in them let me know.  You can normally just type them into google and they will come up, but they do help somewhat.  Good luck and I hope they can help you with what is going on!  Hang in there!
I just read your question from 6/09.  I have the exact story and symptoms. Did you ever find anything to cure your gagging?
test
I also suffer from this gagging problem.  My condition sound milder than some have described on this blog.  It hasn't prevented me from working and I certainly haven't contemplated suicide as a result of it.  I think of it mostly as a nuisance.  Usually I'll gag in the mornings.  The gagging usually only occurs when I am stressed.  I had always believed it to be caused by some kind of pyschological tick combined with a hypersensitive gag reflex.  I hate that when I go into public restrooms, I seem to be the only person that needs to gag from the result of the oders.  While at work, I occasionally might start gagging and others would ask me what's wrong.  I usually just reply that I'm sick or say I choked on my saliva or some water.  It's very interesting to hear about others sharing this problem.  I am somewhat comforted by it.  I also have diarrhea in the mornings, but figured it's just from irritable bowel syndrom (syndrome) (IBS), which can also be caused from stress.  I'm 28 now and this gagging/IBS problem started 4-5 years ago.
Same thing for me I used to have it when I was younger they put me on all kind of anti acids and they never worked the only thing that helped was when I took little nibbles on tums, I don't think the medicine did anything just the thought that I would because of my anxity. I havnt had an sytoms for the past 2-3 years but now as i was worry about finals it started again  I'm out of school today but itwont stop, I just tryied driving and I had to pull over and I'm not gunna go through this stuff again so my best advice to anyone new to this is to be cofident and do things to detract themselfs just think that its all in your head because I bet 50% of people with this just have it mental like me.  
Hey! I feel the same way you do. It's something I have dealt with for years.... With or without anxiety. I know u wrote this a few yrs ago... But did u ever figure it out? I can't burp.... And when I have a semi-indigestion/burp, the nausea goes away for a little while. The gagging feeling comes and goes. Sometimes it's worse in the mornings, or when I drink alcohol. Also, sipping on a drink or hard mint candy helps it as well. Please let me know if u have any answers! Thanks!