Gastroenterology Community
Anal Fissure causing related pains?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anal Fissure causing related pains?

Nearly 3 years back I started having lot of itching in my anus, as a result started bleeding a little while passing.   I went for a colonoscopy which confirmed small anal fissures.  My gastroenterologist said nothing serious to worry about and gave some ointments and pain killers expecting it will go.

Though the pain and itching subsided, while whipping with toilet papers, sometimes I noticed blood and pain, but I no longer bleed these days.  

Meantime, I developed groin, genital and leg pain.    I did consult with urologists, spine specialists and orthopaedics,  but all the tests they had asked me to take din't show anything abnormal.

These days I don't have pain in the anus, but it is itch, and become sore when I eat something spicy.

I am a married man, aged 35 and monogamous.

I was perfectly healthy before my original anal fissure problem started.   My groin, genital and rectal pains started only after the anal fissure.       This is making me think whether all these pains are inter related?     I have no idea which specialist to look for to fix all these pains, which are turning to become chronic now.

Can anyone suggest me something good?
Could be your groin lymph glands are swollen, they are located inside-front where the leg joins onto the body, they should feel tender to the touch, your regular doc can figure out what to do about that, and he can also make sure your blood circulation is up to par.  

But to get what I think are hemorrhoids (a little diff from fissures) taken care of, which they will go away once you reesume regular digestion and they shrink back up (they are swollen vascular areas from constipation), you should use some lotion, or some plain KY jelly in the blue and white box at the drug store, or Preparation H, and after each time you bathe, apply some of that liberally to your rear.  It will ease chaffing thru the day, which is partly why all this hurts so much,  The KY gel is the very best for this, and you can reapply if you have a bowel movement between showers on damp tissue, they even have some you can take with you.  You could bring home a few toilet papers that have aloe in them, they are less rough on the bottom.

In addition to soothing the area for a while, the three main things to do, to keep your digestion running smoothly, is to drink extra water daily, get enough exercise regularly, and eat enough fiber foods (oat cereal, whole wheat bread, vegies, fruit as a snack, as examples).  I think some people use a drugstore fiber additive in water, to help with that, ask the pharmacist.  Then there's "probiotics," which are in yogurts and Acidophilus milk and also you can buy them in pill form at the health food store, they are becoming more popular on groc shelves, it helps return intestinal flora to normal and breaks down waste, but just for a couple weeks for those.  Hope this helps.
Thanks Greg.    I'm extremely frustrated with the doctors, and none of them are able to diagnose properly.    All the test results, blood reports, MRI, scans are clean.

I don't have tenderness to touch in the groin, but there is a extremely mild swelling and pain for quite sometime now, and the pain is a constant dull ache.   However, at times, I see tenderness on my anus, this is making me think that my anal fissure is dormant, and becomes active once in a while, though it doesn't manifest?

Since all my tests are clean, and I never had any kind of fevers for years to co-relate this weird pain with any infection in groin.  I'm normally a healthy person, other than these weird pains.  I'm sure I started experiencing this pain only after I was diagnosed with anal fissure few years back.

Okay, then.  Well, I do know that anal fissures are notoriously bad at healing.  Whereas with hemorrhoids, they come and go and are related to constipation.  So, if it's really fissures, and they are bothering you with itching and soreness, get some of that plain KY jelly from the pharmacy that I told you about, put it on after every time you bathe.  That will help the itching tremendously.  It won't cure them up, tho.  So, before you put on the gel, put some cortisone-type ointment and/or neosporin ointment from the drugstore on there, it heals up stuff like that.  

But if that ointment does not work after a week, stop using it (but keep up with the gel) and visit either your regular doc or gastro doc to have a look see (no need for colonoscopy), and they should be able to visualize the fissures and give you something much better to heal it up, plus maybe even some sort of bandaid type affair on there, I don't know.  But if the ointment does seem to work, stop after one week, keep up with the gel maybe another week or so, and then see how things go.

As for the discomfort in your groin and legs, this really does suggest an infection, which I think you tried to allude to, and it's possible with a fissure that won't quit there, you could have a slight infection, but hopefully it will subside when the fissure heals.  If the discomfort in your groin doesn't get better in a couple weeks, once again you will need to see a doc for antibiotics, I would imagine.

It is a good idea after a bath to put lotion all over yourself.  Could be you have dry skin these days.  Also, Dove soap is gentle on the skin, it has creams in it that help with dry skin.  Drink some extra water, so if you have infection and your fissure begins to clear up, it will help rid your body of any toxins from that.  I might add that if, let's say, you DO have an infection, however slight it might be, then you should try to get more proteins in you to beef up your blood, you can get kind of anemic from your immune system fighting it off.
I want to add that in addition to seeking help from a Gastroenterologist, you can also see a Proctologist, or a Colorectal/ Colon and Rectal surgeon, or an Internal Medicine group.  And I failed to tell you that taking a very warm bath a few times a week will help relax the anal muscles...sometimes they can be too tight from discomfort.  One more thing, this problem with nearby areas being uncomfortable, you CAN put some baby powder around in there, could be the area is getting too hot and that can keep it cooler.  By the way, you CAN get fissures like you did three years ago from a bout with constipation, even tho you don't have it now.  
Nickworried,

Do you have any updates on your symptoms?  I am having the same problem.  My groin, abdomen, buttocks and legs are aching.  I feel this mild burn in my anal area but multiple doctors have done a visual inspection and have found no significant issues.  It has been 5 months since the pain started and it doesn't seem to be going away.