Gastroenterology Community
Anal Fissure

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anal Fissure

To any MD's

I have had an anal fissure for about 3 years, I have had success with nifedipine 0.2% ointment. I will use the cream and it heals the fissure 90%, I say 90% because even when I am using the nifedipine ointment I still have some pain on certain days (when I have the occasional bout of diarrhea or I have mutiple bowel movements in one day)

When I stop using the nifedipine ointment all together the fissure will come back and hurt me.

My question is... is it safe to use the nifedipine oinment for the rest of my life if i had too ? is there any long term side effects or risk for continuous use of the nifedipine ointment ?

second question is... would botox be worth a shot ?

third... what about surgery ? would that heal the fissure once and for all as a last resort ?

I am off the nifedipine ointment and I am trying this wheatgrass cream, it seems to be helpful.  I will try this for a while, if it is not helpful I will go back on the nifedipine ointment.

thanks