Gastroenterology Community
Anal Fissure

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anal Fissure

Near the end of 2008 I was diagnosed with having skin tags.  I had the skin tags removed and shortly after, I developed a lot of discomfort when having a bowl movement.  I went back to the dr. and was then diagnosed with having a anal fissure.  The dr. gave me a prescription for nytroglecerin however I could not tolerate the severe migraines I was having from using the ointment.  The dr. then gave me a prescription for Nifedipine and this worked until I was injured and put on having pain medications which caused constipation.  I then developed the anal fissure again and the Nifedipine however it doesn't appear to be working as it has been just over a month of use and I am not seeing any results.  When I saw my dr. last, I explained to him that I was worried about having the surgery due to the possibility of the loss of control of body fuctions.  I have read many forums and have taken in a lot of information.  I am at my nerves end and am looking for any other alternatives other than surgery.  I want to know what are the long term ramifications of the surgery.  I have changed some of diet as I am trying to eat more fiber, less spicy foods, less soda, and I am taking a stool softner.  Can anyone please help or give any suggestions.  Thanks
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers