Anal Fistulas
My doctors tell me that I can work, but I've had 9 surgeries since Jan. 2009. What work do people do that have experienced recurring recto-anal fistulas? Just so I can get some ideas.
Also have Graves Disease and right eye has slow focus.
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  I would say that any job where you are comfortable is a good job to have.  For example, if sitting, walking, or standing makes it worse, then get a job that doesn't involve that position.
Thanks for your reply: My doctor doesn't realize that allth jobs I've done in the past involved heavy lifting. 25 lbs or more. Most jobs today require heavy lifting unless it's a desk job. I've tried data entry and can't keep up with the speed due to the Graves Disease. Most want 5000 to 9000 keystrokes (with minimum 90% accuracy), and I don't meet 5000. Guess I need to start my own business.
Are you okay standing?  Could you stand for a long time if you didn't have to lift anything?
Not without alot of swelling and low back pain. Also have degenerative arthritis in both knees.
Well it sounds like your inability to work isn't related to the recto-anal fistulas, but to your other medical problems.
It's a combination of problems including fistula repair surgeries. When the surgeon has to splay your hips in stirups ten times in three years. Plus recently found out I was born without a bone in my s-1 region of my back. Plus having vision problems, and MRSA. Makes it interesting to find work.
What do you mean you have MRSA?  Where is the MRSA?  It sounds like you might want to try applying for disability; with all of those conditions, you would probably win.
MRSA is in the nares (spread through the bloodlines). Was told everybody that has been in a hospital has it so deal with it. Tried for disability and was denied.
No, definitely not everyone that has been in a hospital has to deal with it.  Although, they often do nasal swabs in hospitals or nursing homes so that they can treat the people that do have it so that it doesn't spread as much.  So it is probably colonized in your nose.  But what do you mean it was spread through the bloodlines?  Many people are denied for disability on their first time; you can always fight it.
Just a small point. We all have Staphlococcus aureus on our skin and up our noses. Twenty years ago about 20% of us carried the methicillin resistant version. This has now risen to 60% due to the overuse of antibiotics for any little viral syndrome. MRSA is no more virulent than the resistance form, it's just resistant to the common antibiotics. Carrying a bacteria that is present on 60% of the general population is hardly a reason for disability. By the way, the percent carrying the bacteria holds for healthcare workers also. I am unaware of any screening programs as you would quickly run out of doctors and nurses. In reference to the nursing homes, patients with documented MRSA are frequently refused even though the majority of the workers at the nursing home are walking around with it.
One more thought. It's hard to imagine anyone having 9 procedures for anal fistulas that doesn't have Crohn's disease as the underlying cause. Seventy percent of Crohn's patients will develop fistulas-in-ano and they are frequently more complex than the typical ones that non-Crohn's patients get. Do you have a gstroenterologist in addition to your surgeon?
At least where I live, patients in nursing homes or hospitals are often tested to see if they have colonized MRSA in their noses, and then if it comes up positive they are treated.  I never meant to imply that this was a reason for disability.  I meant that all of her other conditions were reasons for disability.
I agree that the combined health conditions should add up to disability. A lot  of the doctors I have specialize in one condition and make it hard to get disability because they specialize. I need a doctor that covers everything.
I have a gastroenterologist that say I have IBS, but the colonoscopy did not show Crohns. It is in my mom's side of the family for colon cancer and Crohns, only not immediate family.
Have had four polyps and a skin tag removed during colonoscopy but all were benign. The MRSA was not treated properly right away. It started in the abscess that formed into a fistula, because a gynecologist opened it the wrong way, it spread through my blood stream and colonized.
It is very hard to find a good PCP.
There are some good PCP's mine is just to busy and stretched thin with what he's doing. He's a Family Care Doctor a EMS and a life flight pilot. So it's hard to contact him. Also he told me he wouldn't get involved with disability because I am under 50 and he didn't think they would give it to me anyway. I am going to find a new doctor that will help me with my physical needs, because he doesn't have time for me.
My gastroenterologist and my gynecologist want me to go to a Cleveland Clinic. Don't know if my Medicaid will cover that. Also don' know how I'd get there. My gastro. says I don't have Crohn's, but my mom's cousin does have it so it's in her family genetics.