Gastroenterology Community
Anal Itching for 3 months use to have H-Pylori

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I didn't know where to post this, i also posted in colon cancer

Ok so for the past few months i have had anal itching i'm 31 slightly overweight and Male I use to smoke but quit 3 years ago and i'm a social drinker, I was on antibiotics for H-Pylori. I had to take Clarithromycin, Teva-Rabeprazole Ec, and Metronidazole. For 7 days. After i was done the treatment about 48 hours later i had a bowelmovement that was harder then usual and bleed bright red blood on the stool itself and toliet paper. This started february 25th 2011 so its been 3 months now. The itching is constant, i don't have pain in my stomach and sometimes there is a slight burning when i have a bowel movement, The bleeding doesn't happen all the time only every other week it seems. Its always bright red, not alot though just streaks. On the toliet paper and the stool

Now when i use Hemmroid cream i place it just on the very inside of the anus and the itching stops right away and i'm fine. Next day it starts all over again. My uncle who is 53 just found out he has colon and prostate cancer in advanced stages. So now i know it is in my  family which is now making me nervous. I'm sometimes getting light headed, and very tired, I dunno if its because i'm stressing out over this non stop.  Which i am because i keep reading such scary stories. Everyday.

So i guess what i'm asking is if its something simple like Hemmroids and preperation H takes away the itching right away, does that mean it is actually hemmroids or could it still be something else. Like would the Prep H cream take away the itching if it was colon cancer?

I'm taking metamusil and acidophilus right now to build up my intestinal good bacteria, as i didn't know i was supose to do that after a long antibiotic treatment. It's been about 2 weeks now and my stool changes from soft to hard but its no longer yellowish its brown again. Sorry if this is gross while reading this. I'm just nervous about going to the doctor because last time i went was for h-pylori ,now i'm having these problems right after getting rid of it. I'm afraid she will give me another antibiotic or something like that, or find out i have something seriously wrong with me.

You did good to get you some Acidophilus, because antibiotics kill both "good" and "bad" bacteria, so probably what happened is your intestinal flora got out of whack.  Also try some Activia yogurt, too, it too has "probiotics" in it, eat it for maybe a week more.  Your age pretty much precludes you from getting cancer yet, and if you're going to get one, the gastro kind is the better, and especially when you get older and your doc finally makes you go for colonoscopies, they catch them before they turn into a big pain.  

You can ease off the Metamusil and instead introduce some real fiber foods into your diet, I always eat oat cereals in the morning, whole wheat bread at lunch (Subways are great for this, plus you can get the greens and tomatoes on there), and at dinner eat some colorful fresh vegies and boil them until soft with a little butter (I like those yellow vegies, squash) or frozen brocholi is good, follow instructs on package, or even just a salad, like with spagetti.  In addition, drinking lots of water all day is really good for the digestion, try to shoot for about six glasses a day (quit drinking after dinner)... I drink a glass each time I visit the bathroom to brush teeth, etc., so I won't forget.  Lastly is some form of regular exercise helps the bowels move more easily as muscles get strengthened, which walking is great.

The blood is indeed from your hemorrhoids, which come from straining, and the delicate tissues swell up.  So, when hard or big waste goes by them, they'll bleed a little and show up on toilet paper, just as you described.  Once your digestion returns to normal, so too will the hemorrhoids, they come and go in people thru life.  But the best thing I've used when I get those itchy irritating things is, every time after I shower, I put some PLAIN KY jelly in the blue and white tube (NOT the flavor kinds) back there, enough to cover everything up good, but will last all day and prevent that hurt, ease passage of waste, plus you can always reapply, it comes in portable forms, too, if you have to "refresh."  It eases all itch and torment there.  Once all this is straight, you can keep it handy, but won't need it until "next time" all this happens to you.

Now, there is some possibility that you still have h.pylori, but for now I lean towards constipation, since that's what happens after antibiotics.  Give it another week or two, try adding some more real fiber, water, and exercise regular a few times a week, and simultaneously ease off on the Metamucil, and see what happens.  And use the KY to keep your rear from being irritated... you can still use Prep H, but you will wind up using it less and less.  If you are not better in a couple weeks, well, I reckon you should be tested for h.pylori or some other gut bacteria all over again.  But let's hope for the best.  

Thank you for your response ggreg, its much appreciated, I ate oatmeal this morning and didn't take metamucil, i'm still taking the scidophilus, i heard about eating yogurt, but i can't cause i'll throw up, something about the taste makes me vomit everytime,  just one of my werid quirks i guess, same goes with jello or pudding or apple sauce lol.
I excercise about 4-5 times a week, i walk about 2-3kms each day i workout, plus i weight train as well, so excercise won't be a problem.
Never thought about the KY Jelly, i have used the aloe vera gel and it ends up itching more  after about an hour or so seems if it stays most it itches, same as when i sweat from walking. But i'll give it a try, thank for the tip
I got blood work to get done on monday so i guess will see about the HPylori, i will say after the treatment, my stomach felt 100 times better, nothing upsets my stomach anymore, and i can seem to eat whatever i like again, without discomfort, although i've been taking it easy ever since this butt problems.
Well again thank you for your response this has also helped put my mind at ease. :)
Since the yogurts do not agree with you, Acidophilus mile is still just fine, and if you want to speed it up, you can also consider visiting a health food grocery type store, they have "probiotics" in a pill form, I think one of them is called "Pearls," just take one every couple days for maybe a week, altho the package will say take 50 million forever.  Aloe vera, like many lotions, will sometimes sting, but KY is about the most non-ingredient type of lubricant a person can use, works like a charm after bathing and stays with you, then rinses off at next bathing since it's water soluble, and if you get to hurting in the middle, you could just squirt some on dampened toilet paper for final wipe, relief again.  I'm glad you got retested for h.pylori, you never know unless you do revisit the doc.  Seems like there's one, either yours or c.diff that can be hard to get rid of, so I sure hope your test is okay.  

I am glad I put your mind at ease, I had a close relative who got colon cancer stage 3 at age 40, and all the docs said it was unusual for a man his age to be in that situation... altho it is indeed possible but rare for younger people to get it, but luckily cure rate is high.  Relative is 20-year survivor.  Cancer is the most mysterious disease still on the list of deadly killers, I wish they'd figure it out, I have breast cancer, chemotherapy is shattering, and the odds of survival with some kinds is downright poor.  Sigh.  Oh, well, this is the nature of disease.  But ANY kind of gastro problem is VERY serious to the person experiencing it.  Heck, if my feet get to hurting, I feel like I'm a gonna die.  It's all relative, you know.  And here's hoping again, friend.  GG
I'll be picking up some KY this weekend to give it a try. Thanks again, I'm so sorry to hear you have breast cancer. I hope you get through it and make a full recovery, Cancer is just awful, i dunno why we can't find a cure for it after a life time of research, I honestly believe the government has cures, but the sad reality is the money isn't in the cure. Just my thoughts, i could easily be wrong though.

stage 3 colon cancer for your relative. wow thats crazy at such a young age, what were his warning signs, like did he have any idea what was going on?  Or did his doctor just happen to come across something during a physical?

thanks again, keep your head up and kick that cancers butt.
Hi London,
Profuse blood draining into toilet was big deal.  Visit to VA and they put him in the scanner a couple days later, and there was the tumor.  They had him in there within two weeks and took it outta him, rough surgery to put up with in the guts.  Another relative I don't know the signs, but he was older and visited doc a lot.  Sooooo, you see, your sign is hemorrhoids, blood on tissue... oh, sometimes it'll drip in toilet or streak waste, but nothing like what cancer does.  You must stop worrying about that, but of course you can go the doc route, ask when you get the pylori retest, unless you already got it, in which case make another appointment with him if you really are nervous about it.  

Don't forget about drinking tons of water, that helps digestion.  And how is that digestion coming along?  I think once you get that straight, you'll feel better about the whole thing and you can chalk this up to edu-bi-cation.  If gov has cure, must be a problem with it, like you lose your nose if you take a pill for it.  But there is a vaccine that Johns Hopkins is getting pretty excited about in trials last year or two.  I'll be fine if I can just end the chemo, total of five months, got one more to go.  And I ain't looking back and I ain't worrying about future, mine eyes have seen the glory.
GG  
so far everything seems to be improving, i still have my regular 1-2 bowelmovements every morning after breakfast, There hasn't been any blood for the last few days, i'm still taking acidophilus, which i think is helping alot, my itch is almost gone, or at least it seems it is, i've fooled before though lol. I got off metamucil and started eating oatmeal in the morning and more whole wheat bread. Seems to be an easy ajustment so far. I drink about 4 glasses of water plus 2 cups of coffee no sugar and or 2-3 cups green tea no sugar as well. So the fluids won't be a problem. Thanks for the heads up on what to look out for.

Good to hear your chemo is coming to an end soon, i guess that means the cancer will be gone? I'm gonna read up on johns hopkins to findout info on that, never heard about him. Anyways keep up the good fight, take care and thank you
Thanks, London.  The cancer will hopefully be gone, the main thing is to prevent it spreading, and to hear the words from the doc, "There is no cancer in you at this time," which I expect in the fall sometime.  The only catch is recurrence.  It can come back, but my treatments will have bought me at least two years, and for some a lifetime.  Johns Hopkins is a medical center, big place.  But many cancer centers and other hospitals do trials, too.

I am SO relieved you are getting your digestion under some sort of control.  Just keep up with the fiber food, plenty of water, regular exercise.  There are some things I eat every day, I have to pay attention to my water all the time, it becomes a lifestyle thing.  Best regards to you too.  GG