Gastroenterology Community
Anal Seepage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anal Seepage

Over the past few weeks, I have been experiencing some anal seepage. I am a young, in shape, straight male. I will go to the restroom and have a bowel movement, make sure I wipe thoroughly, and start to feel some discomfort back there after a short time. I go back and rewipe, finding mucus on the toilet paper. This problem is very uncomfortable and embarrassing. I am afraid that this problem may be a sign of something more dangerous. Thanks for all of your help.
Mucus can be due to infection, inflammation or a polyp (also a cancer, but not likely, if you're young).

1. Stool test for microorganisms and blood will be necessary to rule out infection and bleeding.
2. Colonoscopy, or first sigmoidoscopy (only the last part of colon investigated) is needed to find inflammation
Mucus is produced as a normal part of the process of protecting the bowel. The majority of the digestive tract is lined by mucus, however, we typically don't notice it. The production of mucus can be more visible when the GI tract is irritated or otherwise facing a challenge.

It's possible it may be seeping if you're experiencing hemorrhoids, since the tissues may not properly 'close down' or retract after a bowel movement. It's time to check with your doc.
I have the same problem as you.Sometimes I actually get a stain all the way through my pants and it`s so embarrassing ! I`ve been to the doctor ,had a colonoscopy and still I have this problem.I do believe it is due to my problem with 1 hemoriod I`ve had for years.I was told to use some kind of a drying agent but it still doesn`t work.I suggest seeing your doctor.
Yes, it can be connected with internal hemmorhoids or other rectal issue, which can be checked by SIGMOIDOSCOPY.
augs.org/custom/kb/answer.cfm?id=37

The cause can be often treated with a simple surgical or laser procedure.
I am a 26 year old male with Hepatitus (hepatitis) C. I was diagnosed with this years ago and so far my liver in imflamed but otherwise working well. Last nite I awoke and found the I had leaked this brown mucus like liquid onto my bed from my anus. I then got up to go the the washroom and a bit more came out and it felt like a needed to have a movement and the need to push but nothing came out. This is greatly worrying me as I am afraid it could be a sign of liver failure. What could have caused this.
The only change in the stool, which speaks for liver disease, is the PALE color and/or sticky/foamy stool, which means, less bile is excreted.

The fact, that you were not able to hold the mucus, speaks for some physical change in the rectum or anal canal, which prevents normal anus closing. In most cases this is from hemorrhoids (internal or external), but it could also be a polyp, or inflammation or infection of rectum - proctitis. If the mucus was greenish, it is possible that more bile was excreted - this results from its impaired absorption.
Actually...in hepatitis C, cholestasis (the blockage of bile excretion from the liver into intestine) may occur, and bile acids enter the blood, and from there, they may increase secretion from colonic wall.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/9571377?src=emed_ckb_ref_0
I have had diarrhea for over 3 weeks now and for the past 7 nights have experienced anal seepage.  I'm not talking about a little mucous, but alot of liquid stool coming out.  I've had to change night clothes 2 to 3 times nightly, as well as towels, sheets, etc. I am a 52 year old female who had a small hemorrhoid a couple of weeks ago that I attributed to straining while having bowel movements.  I've had a colectomy and only have about 18 inches left.  My M.D. doesn't seem to know what the problem is.  I am taking over the counter diarrhea meds to try and stop it, but the anal seepage is more worrisome to me than the diarrhea.  Can anyone help me with this?
Which part of the colon was removed? Ileocecal valve remained? Do you feel bloated and gassy?
my dad had colon cancer surgery over 10 years ago he is 79 years old and in great health for his age.  They removed a tumor and a valve is gone.  He is tortured by the seepage and it has pretty much kept him confined to the house and afraid to go out, because he never knows when it is going to happen.  He takes immodium sometimes, but does not want to interfer with regular bms.  Does anyone have any suggestions for things he can eat or do to stop this or at least subside?
Kat, the best suggestion I can come up with is to use or eat as much fiber-rich foods/products as is comfortable. The more fluids the fiber can 'sop up' perhaps the less seepage will occur.
I am a staright 15 year old male and i have been experiencing what i belive is anal seepage. It seems as if i am sweating a lot in the anus. I am not sure if it is just sweat or anal seepage. If it is, there is no way i could run this by my mom. If there is thing i could do to treat this, like changing my diet, please inform me. Thank you.
Went through a spinchterotomy five years ago and now am experiencing anal seepage.  What corrective measures are available for consideration ?
hey . my name is mohammed and im only 13 yrs old and i also have this odor problem.  i tell u it is ruining my life. ive tried everything but nothing works. my parents dont know about it and i dont want to tell them. this is ruinig my social life and my confidence i just want this to go away. and i have a question. why us, why do we have to go through this. and i no ur 25 and out of school but try imagining bein  in school and having this problem its really not good . anyway if u want to talk more about this my email is -  ***@****  this is for both yahoo and myspace. i realy need to talk to someone about this         why us. bye
I developed the anal seepage problem after starting a new medicine I have to take regularly. I found that Concerta (methylphenidate), absolutely solved the problem..... Unless I take asprin.
i dont know if this is anal sepage (seepage) but after pooping i wipe or even take a shower an wash my butt real good but a few hours later my but starts to sting and i go wipe again and its like i never wiped in the first place.
and i wipe my but probaly 6 times a day.
id like to ask a doctor but its a little embarassing and he'll probaly tell
me to wipe better but i dont think that the problem.
any ideas
I have this same problem.  I am a senior in high school and every time i go up to present in class I will turn to the screen and woops! It smells real bady and everyone laughs at me and no one will sit by me.  I have found a good cure that if you wear 2 or 3 diapers and wear diaper cream. it can really help the problem.  I hope someday you find a girl friend who accepts you for who you are.  Idk why us. I like to think of it as some sort of special gift.  Maybe someday we can hang out together and wipe each other's butts.  hope to see you soon you smelly little freak.

Love
Jerry Smart from Clovis California at Clovis High School.  Im the funny lookin one.
I am a 20 year old and have high blood pressure and IBS. I am on three blood pressure medications. I have had this issue for sometime. I go to the bathroom, and I will wipe VERY good, and about 15-20 minutes later I will feel uncomfortable and can feel stool return to the outside. I go wipe again and there is a good bit of stool there. I wipe so much throughout the day the outside of my anus gets very red and burns and I live a little blood that comes from the rim of my anus, because I wipe so much. I have tried taking fiber. Tried laxatives to "clean my colon" and stool softeners for encase I was impacted. I am so sick of this issue. Any help is appreciated! Please email me with comments and answers   Thank you very much!
My husband is having the same problem he has has 2 colonostophy has added the fiber has did the probiotics but the Dr.  Still have not give us any answers he is starting to get really depressed and any suggestions would be great
You have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008. The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on. Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew. To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page. This will get your post the attention it deserves. Thank you.
ok i am a 37 yr old male HIV positive and have had it for 16 years and have been pretty healthy for the most part until recently i have found under each testicle a large solid mass the size of a quarter and i am in constant pain like someone has kicked me with steel toe boots as hard as they could i have a pretty high pain threshold but it becoming unbearable i just lost my lover of 17 years due to hospitals so i am very scared to go to the doctor can someone help me decide what to do. I also have anal leakage and when i do take a bowel movement it feels like i am giving birth but when i look it is the size of a pea with alot of blood
I have this problem too... I was blown up by a car bomb in may of 2009 and shrapnal went through my stomach and intestines. When i was in the hospital they had a rectal cathider in me. Ever since then i have had constant slow seepage from my anus... Not to where i have to wear diapers or anything but where it is a super light substance with the consistency of a lube. (I'm straight btw) and its super embarrassing and it causes me to get rashes. I need advice.
I just had this happen to me a few minutes ago. Im a 15 year old female and this is the first time for me. Of course the first thing I do is search the internet for answers. Most of the comments ive read on other websites ask if they are sexually active and I am not. Please help im a little worried.
Guys I also have this problem, its really hectic and hard to live with. The people around me wherever I go consider me an outcast. My bad odour due this disease has cause alot of problems! I dont know if i can take it anymore
Hamed i left a message saying about chinese remedies i thought you only had anal odor but I read agin and you mention using the bathr and wiping a lot and stinking later,ok i think your problem needs a proctologist you my little bro have a problem with your anal muscles not opening and pushing outward enough to get reed of your excrements so some come out and some stay in.see a doctor if all fail then you may need a surgery to overlap the torn anal muscles and  sew them toghether.remember dont think about suicide ok be strong and tell your mom and dad they will help you,good luck.
Yeah the problem is that his anal muscles are torn so they dont push the whole stool out.what he need is a surgery to tighten his anal muscles and sew them together,but usually doctors wont tell the truth if you dont have money to pay the surgery.surgery may not be 100% guaranty but its about on the 90's%.doctors nowadays in my expirience are very good liers becoming like lawyers they only do it if you say we will pay watever the cost then they'll jump to it.so make sure you discuss the estimate and make sure the doc is legit too.God bless you.
Doe anaybody got a fissure?
Stop taking Soda, Sugar, cheese, Junk Food like fries in fast food.  I use Surgical spirit to clean the anus 1 finger dip & apply it around anus burns for few seconds then use running water to clean the area, dry it and apply hydrocortisone Cream, you will not smell for 5-6 hrs, you will have to repeat it when ever you visit restroom for stool passing.