Anal fissure/scarring.
Hi.

I've been suffering from an anal fissure and fecal incontinence for about 2-3 years, I'm 22. I started experiencing problems which gradually got worse and worse after I realized I had IBS around 19 and started experiencing frequent cases of constipation and diarrhea. I try to remember to drink plenty of water and I mostly eat healthy but I still havn't completely conquered IBS. Through the process of trial and error in dealing with it I'm terribly afraid that I've done permanent damage to the sphincter. There is a deep fissure towards my tailbone and scarring on the opposite side leading towards my scrotum. Also I've felt the area and it feels as if the muscle has lost firmness and has atrophied around the scar. I really need to know if a case like mine is curable. I've had to put my life on hold for years to try and deal with this situation and it's wearing my patience thin. Should I look into surgery? Every specialist I've seen has waved it off as nothing, I feel as if I'm not being taken seriously. I really need to know what to do. I feel as if I'm permanently screwed up for life or something.
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. The symptoms could be related to the inflammation, while surgery may be advisable in a few cases. It would be best to consult a general surgeon or a gastroenterologist for a detailed evaluation and suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!