Gastroenterology Community
Anal fissure

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anal fissure

To any MD's

I have had an anal fissure for about 3 years, I have had success with nifedipine 0.2% ointment. I will use the cream and it heals the fissure 90%, I say 90% because even when I am using the nifedipine ointment I still have some pain on certain days (when I have the occasional bout of diarrhea or I have mutiple bowel movements in one day)

When I stop using the nifedipine ointment all together the fissure will come back and hurt me.

My question is... is it safe to use the nifedipine oinment for the rest of my life if i had too ? is there any long term side effects or risk for continuous use of the nifedipine ointment ?

second question is... would botox be worth a shot ?

third... what about surgery ? would that heal the fissure once and for all as a last resort ?

thanks

I can surely help you with the Surgery question. I had TWO anal fissures for about five years.... they would heal and then return again and again. Finally, in 1990, the pain (again) was so bad that we all said, "Enough."

Best surgery I ever had. The surgeon was so good... and quick, that I did not even go "under." I was in a Twilight sleep and the assistants were prepared with general Anesthesia just in case it was needed, but it was not. It was over before I knew it and I don't remember a thing.

I had a few days of discomfort afterwards and did not want to do much but lie around. But, I have not had any significant problems since then....maybe a twinge of pain now and then..(The doc told me I was 'thin-skinned' in that area) but NOTHING like before. I mean it...it was worth it. Just make sure you get a GOOOOD doctor...one with a ton of experience. I know of someone who did not shop carefully for a good doctor and the results were not good. I don't mean to scare anyone, but do the homework. It was worth it for me.

Mary
thanks for the comment.

can any MD's answer my question about the continuous use of the nifedipine ointment ?
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers