Gastroenterology Community
Annoying Discomfort Right Rib Cage

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Annoying Discomfort Right Rib Cage

I am a 45 year old woman and have experienced CONSTANT discomfort in my right lower (and sometimes upper) ribcage.  The pain "travels".  Actually I would not call it pain, sometimes it feels as though there is pressure from inside pushing outward against the ribs.  Like a wadded sock under my ribs!  The discomfort has been present for over a year, but never so bad or painful that I wanted to immediately seek help.  However, living everyday w/discomfort is growing old!  It at times almost seems that it could be a muscular or skeletal problem.  Other than the discomfort, I've experienced no problems.  My appetite is GREAT, I generally feel good everyday and am exercising daily.  I have regular bms and no sign of liver disfunction, such as jaundice, discolored urine etc. I have never had an
I had a similar problem and thought I might have liver problems. I went to see the doctor and it was determined that it was muscular pain. At your place, I would still go see the doctor to have peace of mind! Good luck!
I had the exact same thing and I had gallstones.  LOTS of them.  I would bring this up to your PCP and ask him to do and  abdominal ultrasound to see if there are any abnormalities.  That will also see the liver.  But when you said your shoulder blade I immediately thought gallbladder because I used to get attacks so bad where I felt like I couldn't bnreathe cause it hurt so bad so I would have them check it out.  Good Luck to you.
I had the same symptoms for five years. Ultra sound found nothing. This pass January I went for anouther ultra sound and they found gall stones. I had my gall bladder removed on 3/8/02. The doctor said my gall bladder was healthy, and there were a few stones. I wondered if I should of had it removed, but if it stops the pain I was having for the last five years I would do it again. I know how you feel when you say you think the doctors don't believe you have this pain. I too felt that way, but when the pain continued I made sure they continued to check it out. I never knew if I was having a gall bladder attack or a heart attack, and I wanted to know the difference. Don't give up, because you never have to go through that type of pain, keep going back until they find what the pain is from.
same problem here...you can almost feel the outline of your liver with the pressure.  I have had all the tests, blood work, ct, etc. Docs say nothing wrong! I have been taking way too much vicodin (500 mg acetominifin) for the last 3 years and drink on occasion. I have stopped the vicodin 1 week ago and the pain stopped, but, I had dinner with my neighbor last nite, drank a glass of wine and was up all nite  due to the nagging ache in my right side. I read that the liver will heal  itself over time, but, will the damage cause failure 10, 20 years from now? I am 40 and generally in good health except for chronic neck pain. I started taking milk thistle today, hope it works! Any words of wisdom out there? Should I insist on a biopsy?
noclue
This has been my major complaint, you put it well however, after undergoing gastroscopy and ultrasounds, the gastroenterologist stated he found nothing (but told my doctor he found a small hiatal hernia) and the ultrasound was clear.  I am now told that the next step is a CT scan, but after being continually told it is all in my head, I think the CT scan can wait as I trully believe they will not find anything with that either.  All my bloods etc are normal, but I am having continuous difficulty driving and sitting with the discomfort. Good luck with it, I've had enough for the time being.
Wow, I just posted a message asking for help with the same thing.  I know exactly what you mean about the wadded up sock feeling, and the waistband issue. I hope to resolve this soon as it is turning into problems with dizziness.
My discomfort started about 6 mos ago. I thought I had a stomach ulcer b/c of pain after eating and also during the night like indigestion or something accompanied by bloating. At Christmas it was even worse, so I went to my primary care physician who then sent me to a gastro doctor. They then sent me for xrays (abd ultrasound & CC HIde A Scan test). This showed them I had a collapsed gall bladder or biliary dyskinesia.  I am going to have my gall bladder removed on 3/18. HOpefully this discomfort under my ribs will stop!
Something to consider would be angina. It can present differently in women than in men. Women feel it in their upper abdomen or upper back. I myself get angina from a coronary artery spasm as well as tachycardia. I feel it in my chest and when it's really bad it's between my shoulder blades.
I am 30. Am I a little young for that? They seem to be certain it's my gall bladder.
I doubt you have angina at 30 but it's not unheard of. I'm 37 and female and started getting it last year. It doesn't really sound like it since you say it's present all the time and tight clothing make it worse, and your skin is sensitive. It was just a thought since your tests are all ok for liver, gallbladder, etc.
Maybe you have stones in your bile duct.  I have experienced pain for the last 2 years.  I had a complete hysterectomy, gallbladder removed, surgeries testing my bladder nad kidneys.  I was in the hospital over the weekend and they told me I had a stone in my appendix but that was not causing my pain.  Has anyone ever heard of this.  I am at my wits end with this pain.  It is in my lower right side and under my right rib cage.  I am going back to the doctor and demanding the run a test to see if I have stones in my bile duct.  If you have experienced anything like this or know anything about this matter , please email me at ***@****.  Thanks!!
just found this site- what a god send- you people are experiencing the same things i am- just had ultrasound fone this am.. she said there was a little sludge around my gallbladder- please someone can you tell me if i get my gallbladder removed will i be "all better" is that the best solution is that what the problem is- i mean do we really really need our gallbladder

signed

scared and confused :(
I had my gallbladder out in Dec of 1997.  Before that I used to have such bad Gallbladder attacks to where my lips would turn purple and blue because it would hurt to bad to take a breath.  It hurt under my right rib cage, right in between my breastbone, through to my back in between my shoulder baldes.  It was so horrible.  I thought I was going to die.  I was convinced I was going to die.  It wasn't that I couldn't breathe, because I could breathe just fine, it just hurt to bad to breathe during an attack.  Once I had mine out, I was so much better.  AT first you have to take it easy and see how your body reacts to certain foods.  What I mean by that is, some foods like soicy foods, ( mexican, italian, etc.), may give you diarreah (diarrhea).  But I didnt have a problem with that.  Just depends on the person I guess.  But know we don't really need our Gallbladders.

Smokeater.
Sorry also wanted to tell you to put your mind at rest as well, the surgery for Gallbldder, is no big deal.  It's usually an overnight surgery, and go home the next day.  It's laproscopic meaning they use little scopes so they don't have to make a huge incision in your stomach like the old days.  They make one about 1 inch long right along the edge of your belly button, so you never see it, one right below the breast bone about 1 inch lone horizontially as well, another off to the right of that one about 4 inches that is about 1/2 inch long horizontally, and another one from the right of that one about 3 inches from it that about 1/4-1/2 inches long in diameter horizontialy.  Now your first day you will be somewhat soar because of the muscles they go through to get it but nothing worse then a pulled muscle really.  If you have ever done alot , and I do mean alot of sit ups and your stomach just got really soar from it for a few days, thats all it feels like, only they give you pain pills for this.  Hope that helps you some.

Smokeater.:-)
Hi all:
I too experienced the same type of pain being described in this thread, and I had my gallbladder removed in Oct 2001.  I did not have gall stones, however there was a lot of sludge and my gallbladder was stretched beyond belief.  The surgery was a piece of cake and I went home the same night.  However, I am still experiencing pain in my right rib cage, which radiates to my back and my ribs actually feel bruised.  Just wondering if anyone experienced this after gall bladder surgery.  I think it's a phantom pain:)
I am 26 and was on Vicodin for a hurniated disc....i just had two steriod (depo-medrol) shots and I am PAIN FREE!!! that stuff is awesome...no pain meds here anymore...just an idea...they worked for me so far  :o)  I am afraid my liver is shot from all the Tylonal and Mortin i have done the past 4 yrs.  maybe you have a Pain Clinic/Center near you?
Yes, I still feel this pain from time to time.  the dr. told me when I had mine out that it could take years for my body to fully recognize that my gallbladder was no longer there.  So although My attacks are nowhere near what they were, THANK GOD!!!, I still sometimes feel like I am having a very mild one and the doctor told me that was very normal.
I was just told by my doctor, following a yearly physical that I have elevated liver enzymes.  She wants to send me to a specialist.  I just recently have gone through eight months of
treatment for a huge kidney stone.  I have 7 lithotripsys and was generally put through the mill.  Now this.  Does anyone know if the kidney stones treatments could have anything to do with the elevated enzymes?  I sure hate going to another specialist again and all the tests and stuff...I hate doctors and I just feel that they are so quick to do "another test."  Anyone have any comments.  I don't drink in excess nor do I take rx's other than the estrogen patch.

Comments please.  Thanks.
I have the same symptoms.  32 y/o male.
1993 - intense ring of pain in upper abdomen, trigered by some heavy drinking/not eating on time.  ONLY solved by drinking lots of water and vomiting.  NOTHING else cured it.  Ocurred about every 6 weeks for 3 years, almost gone now.
1996 - Out of nowhere, pressure under right side ribcage, some mild pain and heartburn.  NO stomach problems.  CT scans, Barium Enema, Sono, X-Ray, HIDA, show nothing. Blood OK.
MUST go to toilet 10 mins after heavy meal (serious).  Violent diarrea (diarrhea) and then ok to go.  Seating at work for too long, not eating on time, tight pants/belt make it worst.  Type of food has no effect.
Feels like a ball in there but can not feel anything.  Sometimes area is sensitive, but may be because of massaging it to get the pressure to go.
Lately, a MILD sharp pain, non rythmic, just 1 or 2 pinches and ok.
NOW THIS!!! : PALPITATIONS, SKIPPING A BEAT AND THEN 2 RAPID BEATS. Ocurring near meals after long periods w/o food.
EKG. heart sono, stress test, all OK.
Read something about Dumping S.
Anyone has a better idea than my CIGNA Dr, who thinks it's on my mind and I create illneses?
Hi all.

I drink beer pretty regulary, but last week, I really kinda pounded them down.

After that, also about a week ago, I experienced pain in my back on my right side (upper) and thought I had lifted something awkwardly, (my daughters bike).

Next day the pain "moved" to under my ribcage on my right side!

It was very tender to the touch and there was significant discomfort when I took a deep breath. I stopped by a vitamin store and asked about anti-oxidants and they told me Milk Thistle and Cucurmin (or some kind of Tumeric stuff) would help.

Well, I've been taking that stuff for a few days now and have laid of the beer but I'm just not sure what the heck is the deal here.

I've been reading all this stuff about liver disease, cirrosis (cirrhosis), gallbladder, etc...

Its starting to really freak me out!

I made a Dr. Appointment but I'd like to hear from some of you here.

Whats up????!!!

thanks...

I am experiencing the same kind of pain you are talking about. Pressure under the right rib that extends into the rib cage and to my back under the shoulder blade. It has been constant now for the last 6 months, it is only the severity that changes. I had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago. I am now 54. I also have fibromyalgia. I am on estrogen after a complete hysterecomy 5 years ago and never experience any night sweats until last week. Every night I wake with sereve sweating.  During the day it also happens around my mid section. I bloat after a large dinner meal so I only eat small meals now. My gastrologist wants to send me to a surgeon . He thinks it's possible that adhesions have formed from my large 6 inch scar from the gallbladder surgery. And it also feels like there is a sock under my rib cage that is wadded up. Twisting , gnawing, burning pain. The burning pain can sometimes get so intense.  With all of us experiencing the same kind of pain, don't you think that doctors could tell us what is wrong?? I have had so many tests and surgeries, I really can't handle the thought of more! Anyone else have advice or these symptoms???
I get this pain two--after a xray they found a huge gas pocket the size of a soccer ball. It has pushed in the diapham and has reduded my lung capasity. the pain moves as the gas moves.
I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago and found that I still had a pain in my right side sometimes after eating. It was kind of like a cramp but more uncomfortable then anything else. I now do the liver cleanse and have flushed over 2000 "gallstones" from my liver. I did 10 flushes 2 weeks apart cost was less then $5.00 a cleanse and all the ingredients come from the grocery store. I got rid of the pain in my side, headaches and skin rash. I have loads more energy. It took me over 3 months after I got the recipe to try it but I finally did and am really glad I did. I am not sure if it will help ya'll but it did loads of stuff for me. I also did not due the parasite cleanse before doing the liver cleanse and I had no problem flushing the stones. I also tried drinking organic apple juice a few days prior to the cleanse. I did not fast but just drank 2 glasses a day for 3 days prior (must be room temperature) That also helps break down the "stones" in your liver. That worked well too as when I did the flush the stones were already crumbling. (and I really hate apple juice) I have noted a few web sites FYI. I would also recommend a colon cleanse for some of you. Might try it prior to the cleanse. You don't have to believe in everything noted on these web-sites but the liver cleanse does work.

http://curezone.com/cleanse/liver/huldas_recipe.asp
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DrClark-testimonials/
It has been 2 1/2 weeks since my gall bladder surgery. It took a while for my bloating to go away (and it hasn't completely gone away) but I feel better. I have been having to take Aciphex for some gas pain in my stomach but other than that I have had no upset stomach. The surgery went well and I left the hospital the same day but was in pain for the next 2-3 days. Still feeling sluggish and just don't have any energy whatsoever. Hopefully this will subside.  I have been able to eat whatever but drinking wine does bother me. I hope this doesn't continue!
I'm so glad I found this site.  Here I was thinking I was the only one with this type of pain.  I went to one doctor about 4 months ago and he said it was a broken rib that would heal over time - HELLO - it's been 10 years, don't you think it would heal by now?  Yes, I've been living with this pain for 10 years; like other people have said, I could live with it because it wasn't all the time, I only felt it about once a month at best.  Lately, though, I can actually put my body in the position to make it hurt (not intentionally): mowing the grass with the riding mower, tying my shoes, washing my feet, etc. I'm going to another doctor today, in fact, and I'm determined to get some answers.  By reading all the information y'all have posted, I feel better informed about what it could be.  I've been thinking lately I had liver cancer or something.
I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago due to a constant pain on the right hand side under the rib cage.  Within six months the pain was back and it seems to be getting worse than before the surgery.  I have had half a dozen ultrasounds and nothing.  It is very frustrating as I am eating nothing but soft foods and not too much of that.  Despite the reduced diet I don't seem to be loosing any weight - quite the opposite and I am a very active person.  I have seem three different doctors and they all look at my like I am crazy - I am now seeing a new doctor because no one should go through 24 hours of pain for days in a row.   One doctor thought my intestine was getting caught up under the rib cage - possibly causing a back up and the bloated sensation????  If I find out anything further from my new doctor I will post immediately.  Before going - you have no idea how happy I was to find this site - I thought I was all alone with this.
A related discussion, still having pain after removal of gall bladder was started.
A related discussion, pain after removing gall bladder was started.
A related discussion, Gallbladder??? was started.
A related discussion, What the h-ll is this? was started.
A related discussion, Pain in and below right rib area was started.
Im 16 years old and I have the same feeling. I feel it especially when I lay down on my back. It just feels like my rib cage is like sinking in. It hurts when someone touches it and I lay in bed crying when it starts hurting. My mom just tells me to get over it but it hurts so much that idk what to do
A related discussion, lower back rt side pain was started.
A related discussion, Try this was started.
I have suffered from this same pain/discomfort for about 4 or 5 years as well. I have been to the gastro and liver specialists. I have acid reflux, chronic vomiting of acid and bile, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, gastritis, GERD, and IBS. I have had ct scans, mri's. I just had another scope to look at my esophagus and stomach where she found mild inflammation and took tissue samples. This is getting tiresome. Almost every morning I am sick to my stomach and vomit either acid or bile. I also feel as though my Dr. feels that some of this is in my head. I am tired of having psychiatric medication thrown at me instead of figuring out what is really going wrong.
I have a strong hunch that it may be parasites.  They are very hard to diagnose, and some of them can cause lots of nasty symptoms, especially if you have more than one colony!  Even if you're not in a tropical Country, the great amounts of travelling nowadays by people can bring all sorts of parasites here in North America!

So look into parasites and their symptoms, remember that there are many different types!  And try a parasite cleanse, or take good quality probiotics.  Good luck!  

PS. I had lots of weird symptoms as well and the doctors could not find anything, so they just thought it was all psychological!
I had Hep A in feb 2013 and had alot of right side pain mainly it lasted 6mo but every morning my right side still has dull pain.  I have started drinking detox tea with milk thistle and other stuff in it that is suppose to cleanse liver n kidneys so any ideas about this pain just started tea too soon to tell
I have same symptoms as you ie pain when bending - nothing else - no reflex etc. However Doctor after ultrasound, gastroscopy, blood tests thinks nothing wrong. I am worried. Are yours gone with time or did you have to do anything
From someone who has been down this path, sounds like you got yourself an addiction there. I would suggest seeing you doc and telling him/her about the length of time and quantity that you have been taking Vicodin. Good luck!