Gastroenterology Community
Anterior Resection Syndrome

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Anterior Resection Syndrome

My husband, who was diagnosed with Stage IV rectal cancer, had a straight coloanal anastomosis in 2005 after radiation and chemo treatments.  A J pouch was not an option during the surgery because he has a very narrow pelvis.  Later on that year, it was discovered that the cancer had metastasized to his liver.  He then had a liver resection, followed by more chemo.  Since then, he has suffered from serious bowel problems, the symptoms of which are exactly as those for Anterior Resection Syndrome.  Is there anyone or any place where we can go to find out about any solutions or help with this?  I read where biodfeedback has been helpful, but that is all.

Thank you!
It may depend on just how much 'bowel' is left. If this was a very low anastomosis, it may not be possible to rectify the situation easily. This is a link to a portion of an article that discusses operations: http://www.****.com/viewarticle/456037_6  You may have to sign in to get to the information, but there are good Resource Boards to look at to find more information.
I cannot "see" the link that you posted.  I am still trying to find out more about his problem.  Does anyone out there know any doctors at the Moffitt Cancer Center who would have experience with this?
One thing that makes me FURIOUS about this board is that if someone tries to refer someone to another decent, well-respected website, for whatever reason no one takes the time to see is the site is valid and good!!! Jeez!

Try putting the word medscape in and you should be able to pull up the article.
I have recently been "re-attached" after having a temporary illeostomy following the removal of my rectum because of anal cancer.  Find myself a prisoner in my home because of several hours of evacuation (very small quantities) that occur each day.  Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated.  ***@**** or ***@****