Gastroenterology Community
Antibiotic-related diarrhea: what to do ?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Antibiotic-related diarrhea: what to do ?

Today, I was given a single dose of Azithromycin, 1g, to treat a urinary tract infection. In 1.5 hours after taking it, I developed a very strong diarrhea - watery stool with poorly digested food. What should I do now ? My main fear is, of course, developing pseudomembranous colitis - is there a way I can reduce this risk somehow ?
Related Discussions
320329_tn?1297772552
Hi Plfgood - call your doc immediately.  Sometimes, simply stopping the antibiotic helps - but doc needs to know.  If  D continues, he/she should do a series of three stool tests - looking for Clostridium Difficile and toxins A/B.  In the meantime, you can start a probiotic such as Florastor, Culturelle etc to start putting some good bugs back into your gut.  Florastor can be taken while you are on an antibiotic - and others best to be spaced apart from the time you take the meds.  Best of luck to you.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...