Antibiotic-related diarrhea: what to do ?
Today, I was given a single dose of Azithromycin, 1g, to treat a urinary tract infection. In 1.5 hours after taking it, I developed a very strong diarrhea - watery stool with poorly digested food. What should I do now ? My main fear is, of course, developing pseudomembranous colitis - is there a way I can reduce this risk somehow ?
Hi Plfgood - call your doc immediately.  Sometimes, simply stopping the antibiotic helps - but doc needs to know.  If  D continues, he/she should do a series of three stool tests - looking for Clostridium Difficile and toxins A/B.  In the meantime, you can start a probiotic such as Florastor, Culturelle etc to start putting some good bugs back into your gut.  Florastor can be taken while you are on an antibiotic - and others best to be spaced apart from the time you take the meds.  Best of luck to you.