Gastroenterology Community
Appendix wound reopened?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Appendix wound reopened?

Hi guys, I'm new here, been Reading a few topic/posts and thought this wound be the best place to ask.

Well, 2 weeks ago this Sunday I had my Appendix out, was kept in over night, home and up && about within 2/3 days, no pain anymore and pretty much doing everything I could before my op. Ok, now my problem is, the incision on my left hand side and on my pubic hair line have closed up, scabbed over and healed perfectly fine and are pretty much now just scars, my belly button wound on the other hand looks awful, it was weeping alot so I went to the doctors who said the stitches had been done sloppy but to air it and kept it clean and dry, still the weeping didn't stop, doesn't smell, itch or is red so no sign of infection but it's just contiuously weeping a clear liquid, any ideas? I also have 2/3 small water filled blisters around the insicion? Allergic to the strips or adhesive is my guess? Can anyone shed some light on that?

Also noticed as of Tuesday, the middle of my wound has started to reopen and now I have just a black hole with a smaller one underneath it (seperated by a strip of stitch/tape) the stitches/ tape are all still there but they are just sat around the hole(s), is this normal?
No, it's not normal, but these things do happen sometimes when stitches open up.  I've seen wounds on TV that look just like you're describing.  It's a strange-looking sort of thing, so I feel for you.  Go on back to the doctor, he should give you a salve to put on the opened-up wound, I think.  The blisters you have are likely from the whole continual weeping situation, or could be a sign of infection, or as you thought maybe the tape.  

I wouldn't mind hearing what the doc has to say about the blisters.  Plus I'm confused about him saying to keep it clean and dry, and yet it's still taped, so I wonder if it's the original tape, which should also be changed sometimes.  Actually, matter of fact, I think you should ask the doc or his nurse to please go ahead and take that tape off and clean out and around the whole area, apply the salve this time for you, and then re-bandage it, if it's supposed to be, perhaps with a nonallergic tape, you can ask them about if they have that kind, and ask them to put a little lotion on the skin where the tape will go and letting it dry before they tape it.  That hospital tape can be annoying and hurts, I've had some and it gave me a scar.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

il clear up what i meant, the tape and the bandages have come off, its the stitches (think there dissolveable) that are still in/on the wound, ive been told not to banaged it up but to leave it to air so it can scab over, but because its contiuously weeping it wont scab over.

dont think its an infection, as i feel fine, no itching, smell or redness. think it may just be irritation.

thanks for the reply, got the docs tomorrow, will keep updated
well ive been too the doctors, and saw the nurse.

The blisters wernt infact blisters, they were pockets of skin because the wound was re opening, the wound re opening was caused due to the stitches and adhesive (turns out im allergic) and my body rejected them both. the stitches were nicked out and now im just left with the 2 holes, nurse said it will heal in time, but i will be left with a bit of a bigger scar. so no major issues.
Dear JoJo,
Thanks for updating me on your issues.  Interesting about being allergic to tape and stitches!  Wonder if you should wear a medical bracelet type thing that says you're allergic, in case you fall off a cliff and need to get sewn up in the ER.  I'm assuming the nurse did not give you a salve or anything to put on the holes.  But I hope it stops oozing, hope it doesn't get infected, which is how come I thought they'd give you an ointment to put on there.  

If it gets majorly red colored or swells up a lot in that area or hurts more than it does now, then that's a sign of infection, so if that happens, return forthwith to the doc office.  Well, I'm glad the nurse said it would heal up.  Sorry you have those holes, but gosh, I'm SO glad they took the stitches out and that the whole wound site is free of any bandaging or whatever.  Just keep 'er clean, and hope it covers itself over, and gets well soon.  Thanks again!
GG
Little update, things wernt looking good, so I booked myself in with the nurse who saw my wound and made an appointment with the doctor the same day. Doc did usual checks and stuck a swab down into my wound hole (and damn did it hurt)! He's worrid that there may infact be a pouch underneather it so the swab got sent to the lab and just waiting on results. In the mean time I'm on 4 500mg Flucloxacillin a day
Dear JoJo,
Good grief.  I hope this will be the end of all this commotion.  I am so annoyed about how all this went for you.  I think your nurse and the appendicitis doc ought to be taken out in the alley and shot.  Well, at least the nurse had enough sense to get the doc back into the picture.  The doc will FOR SURE straighten this out once and for all.  I hope you have a folllowup appointment, or maybe they'll just call and say just stay on the antibiotic.  I'm SO glad you went back in there to have your wound checked.  Same advice now, if they do wind up just calling and saying stay on antibiotic, and then the wound doesn't look a whole lot better in a week, then go right on back in there and raise hell.  Good to hear from you but sorry the news is such a pain.  
GG
Heyy GG, they called me after the anti biotic course had been finished, too see how i was getting on, to say the least i was feeling a toone better, up untill about a week ago, when i notice an extra ball of skin growing just over my scar, i went to the docs, and the nurse saw me, and said its a granuloma, and told me it will just burst and keep growing back, so ive been prescribed Silver Nitrate to apply once a day and im on yet more anti biotics, its nearly been 2 months, im getting bored of it all now, just want it gone, and not to be giving me any more trouble no more!! Thank you for the words x
Hey JJ,
Well, hope the silver nitrate helps things out.  Gosh, what a pain!  I suppose you could look for a website that talks about "wound care" with pictures or something, to sort of see how things are supposed to be doing and all.  Thanks for checking in.
GG