Gastroenterology Community
Are CEA and CA19-9 indicators of Metastasis?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Are CEA and CA19-9 indicators of Metastasis?

I was diagnosed with colon cancer this morning after a colonoscopy but prior to that did CA10-9 and CEA  tests and they came out normal. Does this mean that the chance of this being a localised cancer with no metsastatis is high?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi there,
Elevated CEA occurs in the advanced stage of incurable cancer and the values are low in the early, stage of the disease. The CEA has been suggested as having prognostic value for patients with colon cancer with high values seen in advanced stages. It can be used to monitor the progress of disease or response to treatment. CA19-9 is elevated in about 20 to 40 percent of colon cancer. It helps to differentiate benign from malignant pancreatic disease in some cases. This is merely an advice and not substitute for clinical examination. It is suggested to discuss your queries with your treating doctor since he knows your medical history best. I sincerely hope it helps.
Best luck and regards!
Blank
Thank you for this information. Having my colon resection next week and i hope to have caught it early.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...