Gastroenterology Community
Are clips supposed to be left after a laparoscopic appendectomy?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I had a  laparoscopic appendectomy to remove my appendix 4 years ago. Recently when i went for an abdominal x-ray for an unrelated reason i was asked what abdominal surgery I had previously had as there was a clip left inside. I was just wondering if that was supposed to be there? If i should have been told that they had left it there at the time if it was? And also if it is really necessary for just a laparoscopic appendectomy? Thanks
Clips are routinely left in in many surgeries including gallbladder and other surgeries. Docs aren't required to say anything about it. It's probably assumed if you want to know, you'll ask. The clips are the most time-efficient and direct way of completly 'clamping' something off so that no leaks will occur after the surgery site is closed and the patient can begin recovering.