Gastroenterology Community
Are laxative safe - long term?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Are laxative safe - long term?

I have just been diagnosed with IBS and put on glycolax to keep my colon from clogging up on the right side. I have had this problem for a long time. My doctor told me that I have to take this medicine every day indefinately. I thought that you weren't supposed to take it for longer than 2 weeks. I'm really depressed. Please tell me that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. First, I'm told that I can kiss fried food and almost everything else that tastes good goodbye. Now, I'm stuck on laxatives and Bentyl. What's next? What IS safe for me to eat?
Don't know much about the laxative part but as far as what is safe to eat, that is highly individualized. You need to keep a food diary and log everything you eat and every pain/bowel problem you have and when you have it.