Gastroenterology Community
At Wit's End

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

At Wit's End

Hi. My soon-to-be 15 year old daughter has been sick since June with nausea all day, every day. Her stomach may hurt after eating(doesn't matter what it is) this however is not constant. She has diarrhea maybe once or twice a month at most and it's usually not a bad case. She has lost 10 lbs since this began because she has lost her appetite and doesn't want to feel sick(although she is even if she doesn't eat). She has had an ultrasound, hyda scan, upper GI and all have come back normal. The only thing that has come back elevated is her Sed rate which does indicate an inflammation somewhere in her body, but so far we haven't found anything.This illness has taken over her life. She didn't do anything but lie around this past summer. She can't go to school and will fall behind very quickly if we don't get this taken care of soon. We see the Pediatric GI next week and I am going to request a colonoscopy to rule out Crohn's disease and also a CT scan to see if that finds anything. As her mom, it kills me to see her hurting and there is nothing I can do about it. I just don't understand why this would come on so quickly. She has always been a healthy child. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

This discussion is related to Chronic Nausea.
In what time after eating pain occurs?
Is she bloated? Heartburn, burping?
Color of the stool?
Eating occurs immediately. No heartburn, but has been put on Pepcid just in case. Has not helped at all. Does not have indegestion that I know of(never complained of it) As for the stool, the color is pretty much normal according to her. I know sometimes the stools are loose, she has diarrhea about 1-2 a month and then can be constipated for a couple of days. I am going to request a colonoscopy and CT Scan at the next GI appointment.  
Can she locate the pain exactly? Or her pain is from bloating?
She says the pain is in her "stomach". It doesn't appear to be intestinal to me, but you never know. I don't think she is bloated because she says it feel like a sharp pain that can last a few minutes or a few hours. I think what bothers her most is the constant nausea. She is nauseas all of time. The urge to vomit varies greatly from slightly to overwhelmingly but she only vomits maybe once a month.
It sounds either as a stomach or gallbladder.

Stomach pain is from gastritis or ulcer, and it is burnig deep pain. It often goes with heartburm or burping. It is often caused by H. pylori infection of stomach. Acidic foods and drugs (aspirin, ibuprofen) make it worse. In stomach ulcer, pain aoocurs shortly after the meal. In duodenal ulcer, food actually helps, and pain is wors between meals and during the night.

Gallbladder pain is like a cramp, occuring in minutes or within an hour after a fatty meal. It is located below the lowest right rib, about 5 inches from the midline. Beside cramping pain (spasm), nausea is the most common symptom. Ultrasound may detect gallstones. Gallblader (gallbladder) may be tender or painfull on touching (but not necessary).

At 15 years she should be able to describe her pain, so ask her:

1. Where excatly is the pain, what triggers it and what helps? Does she feel pain at night?
2. Did she notice any blood in the stool, or black tarry stool?
3. Does she have diarrhe, or stool color changed?
She has had an ultrasound, hida scan, EGD and blood test(all enzyme's normal). I thought for sure it was her gallbladder, but according to tests done, it is fine. She is having a colonoscopy next Tuesday. The only thing that has come back abnormal was her sedimentation rate which indicates inflammation somewhere in her body. My fear(and after reading many posts on this site) is that they will not find anything and she will have to live with the constant nausea and stabbing pain. I can't imagine her life that way, but many people live with pain. As for answers to your questions: the pain is in the middle of her stomach region. She has not taken any meds except for Pepcid and that has not helped. The pain happens at different times, usually after eating though. No blood or black tarry stool. Diarrhea maybe once a month if that and no change in color. The stool does have a tendancy to be loose, but not too watery. I do appreciate you responding to my posts, you have been the only one. Thanks.