Gastroenterology Community
BLOATING and ROCK HARD STOMACH

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

BLOATING and ROCK HARD STOMACH

Everytime that I eat, but mostly after dinner my stomach gets bloated and crampy and my intestines feel like they are rock hard right under both sides of my ribs. What could this be and what could be causing this ? I just had a endoscopy and it showed a hiatal hernia and Barrett's esophagus. I asked the GI doctor about it, but he never answered me. Does anyone have any ideas ?
If you also burp excessively, ask your gastroenterologist for urea breath test for Helycobacter pylori, which is a common cause of increased acid secretion in the stomach.
Had that test and it was fine. No H-pylori bacteria.
Do you burp excesivelly?

If not, then probably gas has trapped in your transverse colon. The probable cause is some nutrient that irritates your colon, like fructose not adequately absorbed in your small intestine if you have fructose malabsorption. Low-fructose diet would help in this case.

If low-fructose diet doesn't help, try "low-FODMAP diet" (search online).

Sometimes you need to identify a culprit food by yourself. It may take from few minutes to 24 hours or more before a certain food causes symptoms.

That is funny that you mentioned burping. I just told my sister-in-law that I don't burp like I use to. I hardly ever burp. I noticed that about a year ago, but never said anything to my doctor about it.
If you don't burp and you know how to burp, then it seems the gas is not in the stomach but in the small or large intestine or both.

1. Low fructose diet would help in fructose malabsorption. Dx is with breath test with fructose.
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/21247?personal_page_id=801

2. Lactose-free diet would help in lactose intolerance
no dairy and no other foods with lactose (including milk chocolate, beer; read labels) Dx is with breath test with lactose.

3. If above doesn't help, you can try 1 + 2 + low galactans (legumes) + low fructans (wheat, onions) diet
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/118248?personal_page_id=801

Each diet trial for 4 days.

4. Gluten-free diet ( no wheat, barley and rye) for at least a week would likely help in celiac disease. Dx is with duodenal biopsy.

Just try low-fructose diet first..and ten, if necessary, try others. Symptoms you describe are typical for IBS, and it is usually a certain food (group) that irritate the bowel in IBS.
My stomach is rock hard and looks like I am six moths pregnant, I have been on a gluten free diet plus no lactose, and I'm a vegetarian, I've never been on a low fructose diet I will try that but my symptoms never seem to change no matter what I do, doctors say going to the bathroom or IBS but what I know of IBS is it comes and goes this stays with me constantly, I have lower back pains, slight fevers, headaches, under my arms are swollen, weight gain, tired. I don't know if this is all related, I have had a cat-scan, ultrasound, nerve damage testing, and I go in for a upper GI and a colonoscopy, I am only 39 but with the symptoms the doctors think it is nessisary. The problem is they are doing the same testing they are never going to get different results until they test something else and think outside the box.    
I have the same thing and I think it is pressure on a sore , swollen hiatal hernia, with food unable t get back up into the esophagus because it is already swollen.