Gastroenterology Community
BRIGHT green stool in 2 yr old

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

BRIGHT green stool in 2 yr old

HI all!  I'm at a loss here....and since I usually am here on the anxiety forum...I figured I would post a question here for some input.

My 2 yr old son has been having quite frequent bright green (as in NEON...I dare to say an attractive color...lol) stool on and off for the past few weeks.  Most times the stool is formed, no big bouts of diarrhea, typical 2 yr old appetite...eats great one day, horrible the next.  He doesn't have any other symptoms...no fever, no signs of discomfort anywhere.  Any ideas?  I'm going to call my pediatrician, but I'd love to hear what any of you think.

Thanks a bunch for your help!
Green stool is from green vegetables, some pop-sickles, colored drinks like Kool-aid, maybe from some vitamins, from iron pills...Please try to think what changed in his diet - it may just be some additive.

...or simply from fast food passage and consequently more unabsorbed bile in the stool. Does he drink a lot of fruit juices? Fructose, when in exscess can't be absorbed by a young intestine, so it drags water into intestine and causes diarrhea, but you say no diarrhea...OK, other causes of green stool/diarrhea  are parasites giardia, bacterium salmonella and Clostridium difficile.

Regarding the bright stool.....my son (4yrs) actually has experienced this a few times.  This morning, he and his brother could be heard in the bathroom with gasps of amazement at the green poop.  It was the reaction to the food dye in the frosting at the Big Y Thomas the Tank Engine cupcake he ate last night.  The frosting is that crazy blue and the bile in the stomach reacts to it to make the poop green.  Pretty gross.