Gastroenterology Community
Back pain, musouc and Blood in Stool

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Back pain, musouc and Blood in Stool

I have been suffering with extreme lower back pain, stomach pain, constipation, diareaha, and most recently blood and mucous in the stool. I had a colonoscopy in 2006 and was told that I have severe hemmroids.  Two weeks ago, I could not use the bathroom without a laxative and when I was able to use it, I felt as if I had not finished a bowel movement. It feels like something is blocking the rectum.  I am scheduled for a colonoscopy next month.  My question is are these signs of colon cancer or hemmoroids (hemorrhoids).  I have also had a hymroidectomy, mother had cevical cancer, dad had cancer of the throat. I feel some nausea in the mornings but my apetite is good.  Thank you.

This discussion is related to Blood/Mucus in Stool.
dont worry about the cancer,you prob got something more long the lines of colitis,,,or crohns...maby even a bowel obstruction,but i wouldnt bet on the cancer thing.
Thanks so much. That sure makes me feel better.  Cancer is a fearsome word.  OJG
I am experiencing similar symptoms. How are you doing, OJG?
I started with these symptoms about five years ago. Every two years I have a colonoscopy done and they never find anything wrong. I have had plenty of biopsys done as well. Every time I get a flare up- I always think the worse CANCER. I make an appointment and then by the time I get to see the Dr the episode is over. Dr explained to me that the stomach is the bodies "second brain". When you are very stressed the stomach reacts. Thinking back now I always had diarrhea right before a test. I just came out of two years of nursing school to be an RN. I passed! Now that I have a job in a very stressfull critical unit- guess what the symptoms came back last night!! Blood, mucus, lower back pain. I have come to the conclusions that it IS PSYCHOSOMATIC. Of course I will continue to get a colonoscopy every 2 years, and monitor myself. What I have decided not to do it get all panicky. I will strive to exercise at least 4 times a week, cut back on my fat intake, and drink lots of water. Taking time to relax is also key in keeping all your systems in check. Hope this helps out. I am a mother of three and I have one husband who keeps me on my toes as well(hiking). Above all else LISTEN to  your body. If something bothers you it doesn't hurt to check it out.