Gastroenterology Community
Back pain after eating?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Back pain after eating?

In 2008, I went into my doctor's office due to a number of gastro symptoms. Those visits yielded the following results:
- Malfunctining gallbladder (low HIDA score + stones)
- Gastroparesis
- GERD
- small sliding hiatal hernia

I also complained about postprandial back pain in the mid-left back (right about where my stomach and pancreas would be), but was told this was related to my gallbladder.

Last year I had my gallbladder removed. The gastroparesis improved, and I felt overall much better. I'd get minor back pains after eating, I thought maybe it was the gastroparesis, due perhaps to some minor gastritis.

Recently I had another EGD done to find out about some dysphagia I was having, in addition to stomach pain. Docs guessed mild gastritis/esophagitis which had cleared up by the time of the EGD. No unplanned events (no Barrett's, no polyps, etc).

Despite this, I still have some back pain, usually 1/2 hour after eating, in my mid-left back. This pain sometimes stretches across the mid back to the right-side, but it's mostly on my left. Very mild abdominal pain, again in the stomach region (lower rib-cage, on the left), but that's less common. The back pain can last for hours, and although very mild, it is uncomfortable.

I'm concerned that this could be chronic pancreatitis. I am a 30 year old male. I don't have a history of drinking. While this started about 2 years ago, my diet has over the past 2 years been fairly low-fat (due to the gallbladder) and better than most people's. (No fried/fast foods, very little processed, mostly vegetarian with spots of fish, eggs and rarely chicken. Also a GERD diet.) Furthermore, my blood work has been fine, as have my bathroom habits. The only real indication is the postprandial back pain, and, possibly, the gastroparesis (which may be an early symptom). Taking digestive enzymes seems to help.

While I plan to ask my gastroenterologist for an MRCP to rule out chronic pancreatitis, I'd like to know if there are other possible reasons for this type of pain. Could it be due solely to the gastroparesis? (I tend to be more sensitive in my back than front, even to the point of feeling heartburn on my back way before my chest.) Could it be due to nerve compression issues? Could it be something else I've yet to consider?
Although I haven't yet met with the doctor, the pains faded after I discovered that what I had was actually a lactose intolerance plus newly-discovered food allergies. Once I dropped the lactose the pain began to fade. There's still some there, but for now I'm attributing these to food allergies and my recent diagnosis of an eosinophilic disorder. (Eosinophilic esophagitis; no word on whether this extends to eosinophilic gastritis, but for the moment I'm presuming it does.)
I had my gallbladder removed in December and have still been problems.  Still having some of the symptoms I had had plus many new ones.  I've been having back pain after eating and at random times.  It seems to coincide with increased abdominal tenderness which I have on a regular basis.  Also have frequent burping and hiccups, some chest discomfort, and slight nausea.  I've had some weird symptoms while or immediately after eating recently.  Had my upper back and shoulders ache after drinking a glass of water quickly.  Also had the back of my neck and back ache after eating.  Sometimes the back pain is in the center and under both shoulder blades.  I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist tomorrow.