Gastroenterology Community
Bad bloating can't breathe

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bad bloating can't breathe

The past few weeks, everytime I eat a meal even a small meal, a can of soup with a sandwich, my stomach bloats real bad, causing me shortness of breath, chest tightness, chest pressure, It's especially worse when I sit down or stand up, but laying down relieves the symptom.  I went to my doctor, he said it was hiatel hernia, gave me Protonix, I took it for awhile, but the med did not help, so went to see a Gastro doc, had an upper GI done, results returned no acid reflux, no hiatel hernia.  Gastro doc said it's my stomach nerves, not working correctly, possibly IBS, to take a mild laxative (Mylanta, Maalox, etc...) everyday to get my bowels moving.  But Maalox bloats my stomach bad.  When I get up first thing in the morning, drink a glass of water, my stomach bloats bad, and I'm out of breath.

I've been tested for food allergies, and do not have any.  

I feel like I have to pass gas all the time, but nothing ever happens.  I feel like a hot air balloon, I've tried Gas X, it didn't work.  My stomach is always empty & bloated, it's driving me crazy.  I don't eat much anymore, because of the bloating and shortness of breath.    

Anyone have any ideas what this could be ?  Please help if you have had experience or similar experience.  Thanks for any help.          
Tags: IBS
Avatar n tn
Are there any answers for people like us? I am at my wits end wondering what to eat anymore. Or even whether to eat at all for knowing that I am going to be bloated and feeling like i cannot breathe. I also have two sets of clothes that I have to wear--one for when i am bloated up and one for not being bloated. I buy stretch jeans, but it is so aggravation putting them on and they fit fine, then I eat and they are choking me to death. I just don't know what to do anymore. So frustrating!  Barb1046
I too have had this problem. I feel like I'm hungry, but that I am at the same time full. As if the food that I previous ate is just sitting there not going anywhere. I'm pregnant so eating regular is important but I always feel sick afterwards even if I only eat a little I feel like i just ate a feast.
Hello..hope you find out whats wrong...I just had a CT scan ..for the same thinks you feel ..just eating a hotdog makes me bloaded and distended bad...dont want to eat anything ..cant fit in my jeans anymore this is crazy..I have type 2 diabetes..my Dr thinks i have Autonomic Neuropathy...have you had your blood sugar checked..please let me know what you find out ..Im so sick of being sick
Could be leaky gut syndrome. I had the same thing, found out it was leaky gut. Research it. Ask your doctor
I used to get this. It could be that there is a lot of gas build up due to bacteria or fungal overgrowth in the stomach or small intestine. Keep a low carb and low polyunsaturated fat diet for awhile and try a low dose probiotic once a day like life flora but make sure your pancreas and liver are okay first before probiotics. And learn how to belch gently, that helped me.

Have a GI doc do some checks for overgrowth and erosion in your stomach or small bowel.
I have very similar issues. I am 43. I have had IBD-C ever since I can remember but it was always somewhat controllable. I have gastritis with it that causes nausea. Up until 3 years ago I could be somewhat ok with meds (Bentyl, Tigan) but recently I bloat after every single thing I eat or drink. I take Protonix along with the above mentioned meds. I have taken Phayzyme or Gas-x to relieve the bloat but to no help. I am miserable. My doctors are simply clueless as to the problem.
stop eating gluten !!!   I used to feel 8 months pregnant after eating pasta.  Bread, soy sauce, beer, wheat, rye, oats, barley  Even it testing is negative,   Try it for 2  weeks