Gastroenterology Community
Bad breath

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bad breath

I have been diagnosed with GERD and LPR (laringoesophageal reflux) and I have that feeling of a lump in the throat, caused as the ENT said, by the LPR. I also have chronic halitosis (6 years now), and I have overruled all possible dental causes. So my question is whether it is possible LPR to be the cause for my bad breath.

This discussion is related to Lump-in-the-throat feeling, constant gurling, and at my wit's end!.
Avatar n tn
I also have severe LPR.  One of the symptoms is chronic bad breath from all of the stomach acid that keeps refluxing into the throat area.  I keep the globus (throat) lump feeling away by reducing my stress.  I can't stand the nasty taste in my mouth all of the time producing the bad breath.  I'm trying to control the reflux with Nexium & Reglan, but no success as of yet.  I sympathize with you.  It can be embarrasing at times.
Avatar n tn
You might look into Nisson fundo surgery for the reflux.  If the bad breath has lasted that long it might be worth it.
Drex,

bad breath has put me in a social isolation, maybe u are in the same position. I`m also taking Nexium but it has no effect on bad breath whatsoever. I was recommended by my ENT to take DIPROPHOS (a single muscle injection) for the LPR and it did help me with the LPR symptoms, matbe reduced bb, but it`s not gone.
Drex, have u had 24/48 hour acid measuing to confirm LPR is due to acid reflux? Have u cosidered Nissen fndoplication?
Avatar n tn
No 24/48 hour acid test.  My ENT has me taking an MRI on the neck tissue tomorrow & already took Barium drink esophogram.  That showed refluxing, hernia, irritated esophagus.  My Gastro doctor has me on the nexium & reglan....he advised me that people that do not respond to meds usually have little to no success with the Nissen fundoplication...I'm not too sure about that!  I meet back with my ENT doc on 4/3 for all results and follow up.  I will ask about the Diprophos injection....I"m not giving up.  I will find a way to recover from this!

Drex
Drex,

what happened with the ENT, do u have any results?
Avatar n tn
Iva, I keep hearing how the GI drs are saying that if you don't respond to meds then the Nissen won't work.  However, I did not respond to meds and the Nissen did work.  My life is 100% better after Nissen.   The key is to find the best bariatric surgeon you can find whose does a loose wrap.  One has had lots of success with the surgery.  I had none of the symptons often related to the surgery.  Best of luck
Coughting,

thank u for ur reply. I am happy for u because u are one of the few  people with successful Nissen. Yesterday I talked to a GI about antireflux surgery and he said Nissen is a mutilating surgery and in the long run doesn`t give good results; he said success rate is about 30% and is not worth it. When I read posts of people with unsuccessful Nissen ops, it sounds like a horror story.
My GI recommended the small antireflux op done endoscopically.
Avatar n tn
Yes, you should try all other avenues.  The reason that I opted for surgery was that I knew my surgeon was top notch as he was the one that performed by bowel resection and I did wonderfully with that.  The main reason was that I was coughing from the reflux and also some allergies.  My cough was so hard and I was waking up and coughing and not getting sleep.  Finally my blood pressure went through the roof.  Dangerously high.  The gp told me that he thought it was caused by the cough.  It was also causing redness and swelling of the throat etc.  

Since my surgery, my cough is much better, still have some from allergies but it is completely different.  No reflux at all and my blood pressure is normal again.  

I know that sometimes these surgeries last only so many years but I could not remain the way I was.  I ended up at the ER with my BP several times.

That is why I told you that if you have surgery to find the best bariatric surgeon you could find.  Ask how many surgeries of this type he has done.  What type of wrap etc.

But you should try all other avenues first.  I had the cough and reflux for 8 years before I had my surgery.