Gastroenterology Community
Bad smelling stool.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bad smelling stool.

I have had very bad smelling stool and gas for about two weeks now. It started out mild and now right after I eat, I have diarrhea. It smells very rotten even though it is what I ate several hours ago. It has progressed now to having to go at least six times a day.  I am eating well. My stomach is hurting today and I am so tired all the time. I have had a weird itch for months as well. Just below each rib and without a rash. I thought maybe allergy but I have cycled through my diet several times. I would appreciate any suggestions.

This discussion is related to Is a bad smelling stool a sign of colon cancer?.
A bad smelling stool could result from having changes in the bacterial content of your GI tract, or it could be due to contracting a bacterial infection as well as a number of other causes. A good way to try to find out what is going on would be to check with your doc and ask to have some stool samples done to rule out bacterial changes or any ova or parasites. If your bowel habits have changed and you've got stomach issues and itching, you need to see your doc.
    Thank you for commenting. I know that I should see a doctor but I am a single woman, over forty, with a part time job as I attend college full time with no insurance. I have been through the "hoops", trying to get insurance but no results, "Money talks and that is the bottom line". That is why I write this forum. I have a cleansing system called "Isogenix, Cleanse for Life". Do you think I should try it?
I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of 'cleansing products,' so I'd like to refrain from making comments about them.
Hi Idot. Did you find any solution for the issues that you had. I have the same issues for near four months and I dont know what to do. I have bad smell odour coming from my body as well and that is much more disgusting than first one. Because bad smell stool can be noticed by you and maybe your family members, but bad smell odour in public places is notified by every one. I went to different doctors and after a lot of stool and blood tests , they diagnosed the issue as IBS which means that they dont know what the hell is that. I am loosing my social life and I fear to go to  public places. I lost my job and I am staying at home to find a solution for my issue. Any suggestion is appreciated.