Gastroenterology Community
Baking Soda

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Baking Soda

I've been having some gagging/vomiting after I 've gagged so bad. Before that I was having chest pains off and on. I didn't pay that much attention, but when I went to the doctor to have a echocardiogram done it was fine so no heart problems. Now, I think with my symptoms I have GERD. I don't have insurance and can't afford to run to the doctor all the time so I don't know when it'll be for me to get any appt with a Gastroentologist. I was wondering about the home remedies like baking soda and apple cider vinegar which I've been reading so much about. I don't know if they'll work but I am willing to try them. Beats being on pills for the rest of your life. I've also read about the RAW FOOD DIET by Ani Phyo I think the author is.. how getting your ph on your body right helps you with diseases also...

This discussion is related to Gagging and coughing after eating.
Tags: gag, GERD
I myself am getting weary of a 7 year cough.  It is getting to the place that after I eat I cough so hard I vomit.  Other times of the day I have coughing fits.  I am currently drinking a glass of water with baking soda.  It alkalizes  the stomach and seems to calm things down.   I am just in the experiment stages.  I have also cut out wheat and dairy.  We'll see.
I was having the exact same symptoms and then my gallbladder failed. In the time it took me to get on a Charity Care program at the local hospital, my body began bipassing the gallbladder. Prior to this, I had severe gagging, especially when doing things like brushing my teeth. They treated me for GERD and also scheduled me for gallbladder surgery. I had the surgery on Thursday and I feel like a different person. Very little bloating (which will go away as I heal), no gagging, no vomiting/acid refluc, and the cough that i have had consistantly for a year, is gone. Not sure it is the same with you, but maybe having your gallbladder looked at, if you havent allready might help .