Barrett's Esophagus
Hi there,
IF one has Barrett's Esophagus then what does that mean, how is it treated and what happens if left untreated?
I'm waiting to find out if I have it, but while I am waiting for the results I've done some online research. From what I can determine the symptoms can vary, as well as can the extremedy of the disorder. You are supposed to go on a Proton Pump Inhibitor to help decrease the amount of acid produced, so I suppose if left untreated the lining in your Esophagus would continue to get worse or become more irritating, resulting in various levels of vomiting and pain in the stomach and chest as described on the various sites I checked out. There's also a slight increase in the risk of esophagus cancer, but even with the increase it's still a very small chance that it will turn cancerous. I hope this helps, but hopefully we both don't have it! Good luck!