Gastroenterology Community
Barretts Esophagus

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Barretts Esophagus

My husband recently had an endo...he's waiting for results from biopsies..Can Barrett's be diagnosed with the naked eye, or just biopsy?  When they take other biopsies during an endo, is that just to make sure it's GERD and not something else (i.e. cancer)...I guess I'm just worried the biopsy results will show something more dangerous...I'm nervous...Thank you.  Doc just prescribed Aciphex
They take biopsies to check for the presence of cancer and to see is there's anything going on under the surface of the tissue that could account for some of the symptoms like eosinophils that can result in esophagitis.

You can see Barrett's with the eye because it has a characteristic coloration. But they will biopsy it just to make sure.

If the doc prescribed a PPI, I hope he's also talked to you about the importance of both diet and lifestyle changes. They can also be important in trying to control the condition.