Gastroenterology Community
Belly Ache

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Belly Ache

Over the past few months I've had strange pain on the right side of my belly button. It's kind of dull and the best way I can describe it is it feels sore like a bruise or something. Randomly the pain starts to feel a little sharp but it only lasts for a few seconds then goes away. I don't feel the pain all the time. Sometimes it might last all day but then I might not feel the pain for a few days. It comes and goes.
      Sometimes, and I know this sounds odd but I'm trying my best to explain it, it feels like the pain is moving to my lower right side sort of diagonally away from the right side of my belly button. It also seems to hurt worse when I go to the bathroom. I've had people tell me that it sounds like appendicitis, but I haven't been running a fever or throwing up or anything. Plus, I've had this pain for a few months now.
     Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but I did give birth six months ago. The pain didn't start until a few months after though. I didn't have a c-section. My cycle returned after I was four weeks postpartum. I started the birth control pill sprintec then and have been on it ever since. I've had some people tell me the pain could be ovarian cysts. I also had my gallbladder removed a couple years ago because of gallstones and I've had people tell me it could be scar tissue...so many possibilities.
     So my question is which does it sound more like? Appendicitis? Ovarian Cysts? Scar tissue? I wish there was a way I could explain the pain better. It's not a severe pain but it is enough to aggravate me and make it difficult to sleep some times.

Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  This could be many different things, and I would recommend seeing a doctor about this to help you figure out what is going on.  Are you having any GI symptoms with this like nausea, constipation, diarrhea, etc.?
Does the pain increase over the day, eg. it is worse in the evening? Are you more thirsty than usual? When the pain is there, are you bloated slightly? and if you press the spot, it does move away? You said your bottom hurts...is it an itchy, burning sensation?
Sometimes randomly I will have nausea that will last for a day then go away on its own. As far as constipation, recently the pain has intensified a little and it is difficult for me to go to the bathroom.
The pain seems to worse at night and in the early morning. If I press down on my belly around the spot that hurts the pain gets worse. Walking seems to make it worse too because when straighten out my right leg it almost feels like it is pulling something in my stomach. it's hard to explain. As far as being more thirsty than usual the answer is yes but I've also lost my appetite and seem to be losing weight. However I do get bloated every now and then but idk if that has to do with my birth control or my cycle.
The pain reminds me of the pain I had with my gallbladder a few months before I had to have it taken out. Only difference is I was hurting higher up in my ribs with my gallbladder and I'm hurting around my belly button with this.
Most doctors think that right beside or underneath the belly button is nothing that can hurt. But there is the colon, and if there is something inside the colon, it can hurt very much so.
There are a few possible things that can cause this spot to hurt:
a) scar tissue that is inflamed or ripped
b) crohns (inflammation of the gut)
c) parasites
This last one is why I asked about the bloating and itching, especially since it seems to move as you press it. The parasite is more active at nights (pain increases during the day), eats whatever you eat (weight loss), the gut is full due to the parasites (loss of appetite), and the body tries to flush it out, you get nightsweats and the parasite takes up water, which all will increase thirst.
I would suggest to get either a colonoscopy or a calprotectin test to rule out crohns ans scar inflammation, let your blood checked for vitamin B12 deficiency (common with parasites or bacteria) and have a stool sample test for parasites as well as a scotch tape test for enterobius (special parasite that cannot be seen in a stool sample.
If the problems are following a monthly cycle, it could point either to parasites (worst a week before full moon) or to endometriosis (worst before/during period). Good luck!
If you think it could be a parasite, buy some vermox, take it with a really fatty meal and see what happens. If it starts acting up, bloating worse than usual, and three days later you see strange things in your stool, you also have your answer. Vermox only works in the intestine, and barely makes it into the body, there is no adverse effect other than mentioned bloating (kills the bugs) and maybe a short episode of mexican two-step.
Good luck!