Gastroenterology Community
Belly Button pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Belly Button pain

I have a pain just above and to the right of my belly button. This has happened once before and I didn't really thing anything of it, (happened maybe a year ago or so)

Earlier this week there was a smelly puss coming from my bellybutton. And today it's a pink liquid. (I'm assuming blood) No odor at all. It just leaks and leaks. The area around my belly button hurts to touch. Not sure if I should make an appointment to see the doctor or not. Just curiouse as to what this might be? What's causing it?
I have alot of trouble with my belly button draining also but mine has a bad odor to it. If ianyone knows about this and what causes it let me know, Keep us updated on your condition it might help me as well.
See a doctor, it could be nothing, it could be endometrium bleeding, a hernia. It is painful so see a doc.  If you have a piercing or old piercing it could be an infection in any case.  You need to get it sorted as it is recurring.  good luck!
here's how it started. I had a bad pain just above the belly button for a day or two, with a smelly discharge. then on the third day, the pain went away and it started bleeding. And then a day after I posted this, the bleeding and pain stopped. so I've been fine. it was a three or four day occurence. very strange.
my belly button has been hurting for a few days....today wheni woke up there was a crust around it and it was leaking a whit subastance...no theres a pressure kind of feel and theres this yellowsh green gooopy stuff comming out..i dont and never had it peirced..what can it be?
I to have leakage from my belly button...no pain, but a clear smelly liquid and also itches alot...mine happens often...will heal and once it does, comes back...I have itched it so much cause an infection and gone to my doctor, who puts me on antibiotics, I've learned to use alcohol to keep it clean and is working rather well...But, I'm seriouly thinking of going to a specialist, to see whats up...
My grandma had leakage from her belly button, they told her it was a yeast infection and they gave her antibiotics but it didn't clear it up. She went to another doctor and he said it might be hernia and they would have to do surgery. When they opened her up they found out it was cancerous! So get it checked out!!!
The same thing is happening to me. Yesterday my belly button started hurting, and kinda smelled. Now it really hurts and is bleeding. I am a little concerned. So if anyone knows what to do let me know. I have never had it pierced so I, but I did accidently swallow a large peice of broken glass about a week ago, I dont know if it could be connected. Any help?
my belly buttons hurts real bad and got a smelly discharge to it and it itches alot and white stuffs comes out of it what sould i do.please get back with me.
my belly button has been hurting for about a week now and it als hurts above and below my belly button now it is leaking nasty smelling stuff and also it is bleeding sometimes I have been cleaning it with peroxide and it is not going a way what should i do???
I am 18 and this is the 3rd time my belly button hurts and is leaking i dont have a dr and dont like going to the dr, I have cleaned my bely button loads. I know from the last 2 times that it eventualy goes away but i am getting fed up. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do just so i can get by such as tips on what to use to clean? tnx
I have been having the same problem, I've had pain around my belly button for a couple days, and today there is a smelly reddish-brown discharge, not sure if it is blood or not.  Did anyone get an answer as to what this is or how to treat it?
you might want to mention these symptoms to your urologists.....it might be related to a cyst or sinus in your urachus, which is essentially the remnants of  what was once the link between our bladders and our umbilical cords when we were in the womb.   Once we're born, that link closes up, but it's not uncommon for there to be sinuses or cysts that form in the portions that remain.  
I am not a specialist or anything but my mom and all her friends are health and nutrition nuts... very holistic and do everything the natural way (thank God) anywho.. i have had similar symptoms with the red rashes and stinky puss to me it smells like a rotten snake ... personally I think that it is yeast and yogurt or soy lecithin should clear it right up... give your body a break from all the sugars, wheat and flour, milks and starchy bad carbs for a while.... drink a TONNNNN of water and you should feel WAY better you may even notice other things like acne, constipation, nausea, bloat, headaches, cloudyness and even certain allergies and the like clear up too. give a try its cheap and you've got nothing to loose.... oh fyi dark greens will help purge your body of all the garbage we put in it everyday too!
I have the same problem. The doctor had me on two antibiotics and pain pills. She recommended cleaning my belly button with Hibiclens which is an antiseptic/antimicrobial skin cleanser. She still isn't sure exactly what causes it, I go back to the doctor tomorrow, but she said a one possibility among many was that it could be a cyst that formed when my umbilical cord was healing and it continues to get infected. Surgery would then be the next step if that turns out to be true. My belly button is red and sore inside and below. Blood, puss and a bad smell are coming out.   PS. peroxide is a no no, use warm salt water instead  
I'm so fed up w/ the way my belly button is acting. I clean it and don't mess w/ it and it still is either dry and red or is pussing and hurts a little. I'm confused about what is going on and concered w/ the fact that it could be very seriouse. I've mentioned it to my mom several times and she thinks its such a silly reson for going to the doctor. I dnt know whether to brush it off and keep cleaning it or get to the doc.
I have had a leaking belly button on and off for three years. I have had two bouts this year. It starts by feeling sore around the outside and then forms an abcess (abscess) inside. After about four days the abcess (abscess) burst. I have to take antibiotics for the infection. There is green smelly ***** stuff draining out and then it turns white. This time I had a very bad bleed. It looked like someone had stabbed me. I went to hospital and the doctor said it was normal!! I dont think so, this should not happen. For the last three years I have been going to doctors and hospitals and no one can tell me what is happening. I have just had another visit to the hospital and have been refered for an mri scan. I had an ultrasound scan last year but this did not show anything. I am hopeing the mri will go deeper to find the solution. The only thing the doctor said he would do if this come back negative is to remove my belly button. I have been leaking this time constantly since 3rd January and I have had enough. Its not nice for my husband and it is very expensive to keep buying dressings that I have to use to keep it from smelling and ruining my clothes. Will reveal mri results if anything positive comes out of this.
The other day I felt a pain where my belly button piercing was so I thought it was digging into my skin so I didn't pay any attention to it until yesterday when it hurt to put my pants near it so I took it out and noticed the pain had nothing to do with the piercing but my actual belly button was growing something. Not necessarily growing something but my skin is growing like a bubble to the point where it looks like I have an outty belly button instead of an inny. (nowhere near the piercing so I know they're not related) This afternoon I checked on it and it was ousing out yellow puss, a pretty large amount, mixed in with blood. The bubble is still there but there is less pain in my lower stomach.
What he HECK is going on???????
Anyone.. Please...
Wow, I thought I was the only one. I had surgery 21 years ago for an abscessed urachus...had been sick for two months with no one able to figure out what was wrong. However, at the time, I had no drainage from my bellybutton, but had terrible pain, blood in my urine for no reason, tenderness all around my belly button, etc. Finally, a surgeon said it was only determined by eliminating all other causes, plus he had seen one other case. Usually, this happens to infants, not adults. So now, suddenly, I have a leaky belly button as so many describe above for two months. I showed it to my doctor today, and am getting a CT scan tomorrow. The thing is, he has never heard of the surgery I had 21 years ago. He first wanted to send me to a general surgeon and I almost keeled over: I'm recovering from two other major surgeries right now and need another one like a hole in the head. I came home and hit the net, because I was beginning to think the surgery I had so many years ago was a fake...I've had other doctors look at me funny when I tell them about it. I know I had extensive bladder repair at the time and I know everything cleared up. I'm really upset to think something might have returned from that.
My belly button started hurting yesterday and I noticed some pinkish liquid, and I notcied it had a really bad smell to it. I have had two surgeries through my belly button, once to remove my appendix and another for endometriosis. I think it may have something to do with it. I had to be sent home from work, I was unloading a truck and box hit my belly button, I had a shooting pain and I starting throwing up. Im waiting to hear from my doctor for the okay to either go to the office or the hospital right now. Has anyone else had surgery through their belly button? Im trying to find some sort of connection.
Hey, I had a problem with my belly button similar to yours.  My belly button had been leaking and smelling for a couple of years and then I got my belly button pierced.  It was pierced in Mar and in July I was surfing in Tofino BC when blood started to leak out of my stomach.  I went to the emergency, they initially thought it was appendicitis, then ruled that out and put me in the hospital for about a week.  The whole time they were trying to say it was an infection from the piercing but it had been leaking for years before I got the ring.  No one listened to e and they kept telling me it was because of the piercing.  The second night I was in the hospital this happened: just below my belly button near my lower abs my stomach swelled up and looked like a big pimple.  The Drs sent me for a CAT scan and told me there was a cherry size something inside me.  They were going to remove it surgically but then my belly button turned from an inny to an outty.  At this time puss was big time leaking from my belly button along with a mixture of blood.  The nurse came into my room checked it out and refilled my morphine, then we started playing with it.  She pushed on the swelled up area just like a pimple and my belly button drained out puss and blood...It was awesome.  eventually she told me she could see something coming out.  My belly button gave birth to an object that was about the size of a cube of sugar or some dice but in a couple pieces with the consistancy of cheese.  Really weird.  Anyway, it was weird, they supposedly tested it for whatever they test for and decided to release me from the hospital 4 days later.  As soon as I gave birth to whatever that cheesy like object was the pain and swelling went away, just like popping a zit when the pressure is released.  The smell of that mess was the same smell I had been having for the previous couple of years with the leakyness and they still tried to say it was from the piercing.  In the end I have never had another problem and the Drs say they have no idea what happened.
I too have a smell from my belly button.  It is natural. Just clean it when you bathe.  I do use peroxide and it seems to help!
i have light colored blood and little discharge i have endimitriosis can this be related i need to know please whether to go to the ER  i dont have a regular doctor and clinics are closed. Please let me know!!!
I have belly button pain when ever I go to the bathroom or if I stretch my back its as if someone were pulling a string from the inside of my belly button. No liquids or smell comming from it yet. Anyone else with the same symptoms?
I am having alot of pain in and around my belly button.  I have no leakage or smells.  Just alot of pain.
Every now and then for the past 8 mths, I have pain near my belly button.  It progressed and the pain started getting worse.  Then, I started noticing dried blood in my navel but I could never seem to catch it when it early enough to see my doctor.  It was always when I was about to take a shower.  I told two doctors, they just said it may be my hernia which was very small.  Finally, Iafter 5 mths was able to realize that the pain and blood only came around the time before and after my cycle.  I went to my ob/gyn when I actually did have the blood in my navel and it turned out to be ENDOMETRIOSIS!!!.  I just had surgery two weeks ago to remove the endometrium from around my navel and now I'm in the process of figuring out what I need to do to conceive.  This came at a time when I just got engaged so my fiance has been very supportive.  Ladies, don't let your doctors tell you it's nothing.  I had symptoms of endometriosis from the year before but my doctor said it was just small cysts.
today i woke up , and i rolled over onto my stomache, and it felt like someone was jabbing my belly button with a pin. I ignored it but it just keeps getting worse and at points it will go red.
what do i do ?
i have the same problem and it goes away for a couple of months but then comes back even worse. im to shy to go to the doc's. its only ever started bleeding at the time i just though i caught it with out knowing as im always getting cuts and bruises and not knowing how iv done them. if any one had any ideas what it could be please let us know  
im 20yrs old and i had pain in my belly button for 4 days then on the 5th day i woke up and noticed i had some leakage in it and around it. it also smelled really bad. im just cleaning it right now but i dont know what to do..should i go to the doc? is it really that serious??? right now im just cleaning it. but its still hurts and it leaks a bit. can anyone help??
Ya the last few days my belly button has been hurting around it and in it especially when i touch it, then i was laying down last night and i noticed a yellow greenish puss coming out of it! and it stunk, i went to the bathroom to clean it and the the puss just oozed out, so i took a bath and flushed it out real well, and cleaned it with soap and peroxide, using a q-tip, i made sure to dry it real well also, it hasn't pussed since last night to my knowledge but this morning i woke up with a red soar throat and green mucus!! Could this be related and is it serious? Help someone!
Whenever I notice my belly button getting tender, I swab it out with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.  It sterilizes your belly button and dries it out, mine always clears up the same day or the next.  I've had it get to the point where it was leaking pus and blood, and preemptive action usually prevents it from getting that far
I had my gallbladder removed almost 2 yrs ago thur 3 small cuts and thur my belly button. I never had a problem till now. I have white liquid coming out and it iches alot. That cant be it, could it of opened up after 2 yrs?
Hi....I got told that it is a form of golden staf because i have had it for nearlly 3 years now and i will have to have a operation to fix it all up...
I'm 17 and I have the same problems with u guys!!
before i feel this sharp-pain whenever I'm on my pants or anythng a little tight (but not too tight), but im ignoring it thinking its just coz im getting big. but just last night i notice a small lumo in the inside of my belly button. when I try touching the outer part of my belly buttong. it smells! like something is rotting is something!
help me please. better yet. HELP US all with the same condition.
this is really making me worried. it stinks and it hurts. now im scared.
some posts here said it may have something to do with weight. and I do admit I have been neglecting my health condition lately, and now I'm starting to put me back on track. I just fear that what if I'm able to balance my weight will this problem go away!?

HELP PLEASE :( ANYONE.
im a male, 20 years of age. about 3 days ago i felt the sharp pain in my belly button. it progressed in pain and last night i noticied the puss and pink fluid. cleaned it out with peroxide, didnt do much. idk what to think. the area directly below the button is red and sore, and every time i stretch the pain gets worse. really wierd.
My belly button leaks, i get random nausia with pain all ovr my stomach im waitin on a laproscopy but hav hsd a colonoscopy blood tests ct scan and a few ultrasounds and none of the doctors can figure it out any ideas?? Let me know this has been going on for months
I have been through the same thing. for 90% of you everything will be fine. It happen to me twice. It starting with the pain around the navel, then the redness around the navel, then the leakage and blood. Scary i know. The first time i went to the doctor and he just cleaned it very well and wrote me some antibiotic ointment. He said it was a either a cyst or a ingrown hair that got badly infected and caused an abcess (abscess). I am in to athletics very much. i still play semi pro baseball and do mix martial arts to this day at the age of 29. I am a furry guy as well lol. He said it was probably a combination of sweating and having my clothes rub. It went away a few days later. It has happen again but i treat it right away. I shower way more often, clean it with  Hibiclens. I get it from a girl i date that works at a Hospital but you can pick up a small bottle of it from your local drug store. It mainly hurts on the areal around the navel about a 1/2 inch deep and in the navel of course. If it hurts very deep in your stomach and gets unbearable than i suggest you get it checked out. Good luck.
open up your belly button more than you would normally with a tweezers and get out whatever is in there, its probably hair or some dirt in your belly button. It causes a sore belly button and a smelly puss to come out.
Hi, my name is lydan and i am a 26 year old male.
I am posting this to two different articals as i pertains to both, there will be mixed but helpful information for everybody.
Though i have never experienced a puss or bleeding condition as so many have, i have had a smelly belly button often accompanied by pain before, generally once or twice a year, ive also experienced the "feels like a string pulling from the inside of my belly button and shooting pain down to my penis if i lean back or breath deeply etc." which apparently occurs across both genders.

After many years of suffering (didnt know it was IC till recently, started to become sensitive to sugar when i was 14) i have concluded i am sensitive to sugar and it adversely effects me in many bad ways, including what is described in this wonderful link i found as "belly button infection".

http://www.freeuniquearticles.com/health/diseases-conditions/navel-infection-smelly-belly-button-discharge/

So far the most information i have ever gathered relating to many symptoms i get, including symptoms for IC, are when i consume alot of sugar (so a form of diabetes) and have not drank enough water. those two conditions seem to trigger my smelly belly button and IC symptoms. i highly recommend checking out the link, and think carefully when you have symptoms: "did i consume alot of sugar recently and not drink enough water?" i bet you will put two and two together.

BOTTOM LINE: easiest way to avoid symptoms (for me at least) is to drink lots of water and avoid too much sugar, pretty much all the stuff we all learned in grade 7 health class
I have a very light ring around my belly button. It doesn't hurt or it doesn't feel uncomfortable. I actually don't feel anything at all. It's just something i noticed. What could it be?
looked it up - ticks all the boxes - thanks for posting

gyno has no clue, blood test and ultrasound came back negative - because he is looking for an infection
very frustrating when you are in pain and nobody seems to know what is causing it

for me symtoms (symptoms)
sore tender belly button, and around belly button
feeling of pulling from inside
puss leaking out

i will drinkm more water and leave the sweets (that's gonna be hard)