Gastroenterology Community
Best treatment for Gastroparesis

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Best treatment for Gastroparesis

What is the best treatment for Gastroparesis? My 22 yr old daughter is so ill and has lost so much weight and is not getting any nutrition. She has been passing out and dizzy, I fear low blood sugar.  The reglan made her so jittery and nervous, made it hard for her to take clients, she is a hair stylist.She is not diabetic. Is Zofran or domperidone better?Please any suggestions or help at all would be so appreciated. Mom
Tags: gp meds
i was the same way and technically died a couple times.I beat it with the help of a brilliant naturapath and can now eat like normal.contact me if you would like more info.
To answer your question directly, Domperidone has far fewer side effects than Reglan. FAR fewer. I've also heard something called Iberogast can help, but I don't know much about that (yet).

Have they found a cause for the illness yet? Diabetes only accounts for about 20% of all cases. 36% of cases are idiopathic (me, for example, although I think it's my gallbladder dyskinesia combined with a postviral illness) with up to 1/3 of these being post infectious. (A bad flu can develop into gastroparesis.) The other most common cause is post surgical. Other causes, too many to list. (Getting tested for Addison's Disease, myself, for example, although it's not likely since I really, really don't fit the profile.)

Take your daughter to go see a naturopath for opinions. So little is really understood by western medicine about the condition (including the **** we have to go through because some docs will tell you "oh, it's in your head. Here, pop a pill.") that going a more natural route will likely have as good a shot at helping.
Here is a great January 7, 2009 article titled, Gastroparesis: Current diagnostic challenges and management considerations:
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/15/25.pdf

It touches on everything from symptoms and evaluation, diagnostic tests and various treatments.

I sincerely hope it helps.  All the best,

Sam
Please help me, I am so sick with this gastroparesis, my stomach is rigid like a board, I'm dizzy, continually losing weight.  Could you please supply me with the name of the naturopath....Please.  In constant pain for 4 days now, no call back from my gastroenterologist.

Donna
i also suffered gastroptis and have been not able to go to work for some time. i am in China and a few months ago i started to try Chinese medecine. Korean ginseng and Chinese red ginseng(small doze but consistent taking) did help me. also astragolous should help according to my doctor.
My girlfriend is diagnosed with gastroperisis.  What is the name of the natuapath you are talking about.?  She already lost a lot of weight. 40 pounds in 4months.  We have been to the e.r. So many times and been admitted 3 times. Hospital bills r raking up and doctors are down to they can't help her.  Please help!