Gastroenterology Community
Bile Acid Reflux

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bile Acid Reflux

Anyone know much about Bile Acid Reflux?  I have been recently diagnosed with Barretts esophagus and acid reflux.  I have tried Protonix, Prilosec, and Nexium with mixed results.  None of them completely resolved my symptoms.  I am going in next week for my 3rd upper endoscopy so that they can do the Bravo 48 hour PH test.  I am wondering if maybe part of my problem is Bile Acid Reflux.  Anybody have any input?
If you're wondering whether you've got bile acid reflux, you should talk to your doc about doing a 2 channel pH monitoring that will pick up both acid and base reflux instead of just monitoring acid levels. The Bravo testing can only detect acid not bases such as bile.

The other thing to do is to ask the doc to make sure they look for bile reflux patterns during the endoscopy. The pattern in the stomach that is left by bile is a bit different than what is seen with acid problems.
I could tell the difference between the bile reflux and the acid reflux the first time I experienced bile reflux.  I frequently vomit due to my reflux - usually on an empty stomach, so it's just stomach fluids.  The acid reflux was always clear mucous-like fluids without any noticeable taste.  Then, one time I threw up it was YELLOW fluid and had a HORRIBLE bitter/sour taste that left an after-taste even after brushing teeth/mouthwash.  If you experience this, be very specific to your doc about the color/taste - if doc doesn't suspect bile from that description, tell him/her that you suspect it (and maybe find a new doc - definitely go to a GI specialist - my family doc had no clue).
I also have acid reflux and bile reflux along with a hiatal hernia.  I started using Prilosec with little help.  Switched to Nexium in the morning and pepcid before bed - so far no improvement.  I think the bile reflux is more difficult to deal with.  The nasty taste is almost always there and has recently caused me to have a nagging cough.  Good luck with your tests.
I have gone for many tests,  Iwould like to know if with bile refux, you get like a burning sensation between navel and sternum.  It feels like it is on the front part of my stomanch right behind muscle.  Any self help.  Dr. did prescribe the prilosec but didn't think it would work, it hasn't.  Is the only answer (if this is indeed what I have surgery) some
Roux-y, I know I batched that up.

Where do you guys get the pain, any hoarseness in morning.........georgie
I have a hard time separating the causes of my symptoms, but know that the bile reflux is the cause of the horrible taste.  I get hoarseness at a variety of times including the morning and after spells of a hacking cough.  Overdoing exercise can also be a trigger.  The only thing that helps with the cough is to sit up in a comfortable spot and try to relax as much as possible for 15 - 30 min.  This works at home but not so well at work, especially since I depend on my voice for teaching.  Hang in there.
I had my gall bladder removed and had no side effects until two weeks afterward.  I started getting a horrid sour taste in my mouth.  I was told to take prevacid twice a day and a zantac 150 before I went to bed. Bed is elevated.  I started feeling better but still had bouts of the sour taste and have stomach pain for weeks/months at a time.  The doc said of course it is bile reflux.  I've had all the tests, tubes down my throat overnight to measure swallow, how high the reflux goes (up to my throat), everything. The doc said I need to have the surgery where they wrap my stomach around my esophagus to tighten it to keep the reflux down.  I read that that surgery is fine for acid reflux but not as effective for bile reflux and that for bile reflux you would need that surgery (diversion surgery) that makes the bile flow lower into the digestive tract so it isn't irritating your stomach.  I have put off any surgeries because I'm afraid the wrap surgery won't work.  My doctor is a top surgeon for reflux but not the other surgery.  I just don't know what to do.  I have had this for several years now and am SO sick of feeling sick.  The diversion surgery is one that people with weight problems get.  The mortality rate I hear is not good.  Not sure what I should do.  I'm getting desperate though.
Mary,

I have the same problems as u, yet something "extra" - haliotsis or bad breath. Does anyone with acid and bile reflux have that? I also have laringoesophageal reflux..
Does Bile Reflux have a bad smell. Like I will blurp and it will smell and stink the whole room up people have to leave the room. It is like passing gas but through the mouth. Anyone have this problem and I just found out today I have Gall Stones.
Stomach pain comes from eating greasy foods usually. Need to lay back on those and start eating healthier. Seems like a pain but we should be eating healthy anyway. Also I've tried all those other pills and none of them work either. Doctors don't want you to have the good pill right away but for me, I get pain right below and under my sternum when I dont take it, Is Lansoprazol(Previcid, Uldapril) 30mg (Theyll try to give you 15mg but that doesnt work) first thing in the morning and tums every once in a while when I feel the acid building up later in the evening. When I was first diagnosed and pain was really bad took one 30mg bill in morning and one 30 min before last meal of the day. Not cured but no pain, minimal symptoms, and can eat alot again.