Gastroenterology Community
Bile Reflux; Gallbladder?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bile Reflux; Gallbladder?

Was diagnosed with Bile reflux after having an endoscopy that showed bile in my stomach.  I understand it is not supposed to be there, and that the bile should stay in my small intestine.  I also know it can be caused by a malfunction with my pyloric sphincter.  What I don't understand is why there is bile is my system at all because I thought bile is only released from the gallbladder when you eat food, (and you fast for 12 hours for the endoscopy).

Anyone else out there have bile reflux?  If so, I was wondering if you knew anymore about it than I do.  What causes it? Gallbladder problems?  Gastroparesis?
i had an endoscopy and results say that there is evidence of bile reflux and that i have gastritis.
but like youself i dont really know much about it.
the wosrt thing is even after loosing weight which i was told would help, my gastritis seems to be worsening and my g.p is no help at all.

let me know if you find anything. the same here.

Thanks, yea I'll definitely let you know if I find something out, I should be seeing my doctor for a follow up pretty soon.
I, too, was told (following a colonoscopy) that I had backup bile reflux into the stomach.  I've read that the bile should empty from the gall bladder into the small intestine (not the stomach) to begin the digestive process through the bowels.

I learned from an internet search that there are several possible causes of bile backup into the stomach, and I assume that if your problems are significant and not helped by medication (Carafate), there is a surgery called diversion surgery.  This would be a last resort.  I believe this is the surgery done for weight loss.  

With my gastritis, I have lost significant weight because of the loss of appetite.  In addition to Carafate, I am changing my diet to exclude sugar, fat, acid and alcohol as much as possible and am having good results.

I will see my doctor in a couple weeks to inquire about the future of the bile backing up into my stomach.

Has anyone had the diversion surgery due to gastritis caused by bile reflux backing up into the stomach?  If so, I would appreciate any information you could provide about the surgery.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers