Gastroenterology Community
Bile Reflux; Gallbladder?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bile Reflux; Gallbladder?

Was diagnosed with Bile reflux after having an endoscopy that showed bile in my stomach.  I understand it is not supposed to be there, and that the bile should stay in my small intestine.  I also know it can be caused by a malfunction with my pyloric sphincter.  What I don't understand is why there is bile is my system at all because I thought bile is only released from the gallbladder when you eat food, (and you fast for 12 hours for the endoscopy).

Anyone else out there have bile reflux?  If so, I was wondering if you knew anymore about it than I do.  What causes it? Gallbladder problems?  Gastroparesis?
i had an endoscopy and results say that there is evidence of bile reflux and that i have gastritis.
but like youself i dont really know much about it.
the wosrt thing is even after loosing weight which i was told would help, my gastritis seems to be worsening and my g.p is no help at all.

let me know if you find anything. the same here.

Thanks, yea I'll definitely let you know if I find something out, I should be seeing my doctor for a follow up pretty soon.
I, too, was told (following a colonoscopy) that I had backup bile reflux into the stomach.  I've read that the bile should empty from the gall bladder into the small intestine (not the stomach) to begin the digestive process through the bowels.

I learned from an internet search that there are several possible causes of bile backup into the stomach, and I assume that if your problems are significant and not helped by medication (Carafate), there is a surgery called diversion surgery.  This would be a last resort.  I believe this is the surgery done for weight loss.  

With my gastritis, I have lost significant weight because of the loss of appetite.  In addition to Carafate, I am changing my diet to exclude sugar, fat, acid and alcohol as much as possible and am having good results.

I will see my doctor in a couple weeks to inquire about the future of the bile backing up into my stomach.

Has anyone had the diversion surgery due to gastritis caused by bile reflux backing up into the stomach?  If so, I would appreciate any information you could provide about the surgery.
Any updates on your Bile Reflux issue? I have it too and all of my DR's are saying that I have to live with it. It makes me so angry cause it's taken my whole life away from me.
I too had a scope done about a month ago that showed old bile. I'm waiting to see the GI Dr July 2nd.
Can I ask if you have your gallbladder? The reason I'm asking is because I've heard of so many people that have no gallbladder having this problem. The Dr put me on a PPI in the hospital but it's not helping. I'm wondering if digestive enzymes may help? Have you tried them yet?
Yes I still have my Gall Bladder. They did an Ultrasound on it in the ER and said that it was fine. My stomach pain is getting worse. I have been on Prilosec for about 15 years now and it has knocked out my heartburn issue that whole time up until about 10 months ago. It just started all of a sudden one day. I have been prescribed EVERY medication known to man for this issue and NONE of them seem to help at all. I've had a Bravo PH test, a Manometry test, 24 hour PH probe and they all come back negative for excessive acid. I was on the Prilosec for all of those tests. So it's NOT acid causing my issues which isn't a big surprise because NONE of the acid meds give me any relief. Ever over the counter Tums and Rolaids don't seem to help. So I started researching what else could be in my stomach that is burning it up. I found that Bile could backwash into the stomach and burn like acid. Over the past 15 years that I've had heartburn issues my stomach never burned like it does now. My esophagus and throat would get burnt but NEVER my stomach. Anyways, my stomach Dr's are not very much help at all. I finally decided that it must be Bile in my stomach because it's the only other thing that could be in my stomach causing the burning. I mentioned it to my GI Dr and he said "maybe" and then proceeded to look it up online in the exam room. OMG he didn't even know about it and had to look online for info on it. At that point I knew that I was doomed. He then referred me out to another GI Dr at the best hospital in my area. Well my medical group said NO and denied my Dr's request to send me there. That made me so mad. I guess it must have been too expensive or something. Anyways, one night while I felt like I was going to die, I started going through my medical papers and I found a copy of the last endoscopy that was done when they placed my Bravo PH probe in my esoghagus. It had a note at the bottom of the report saying "some bile was found in the stomach". I said "BINGO that's gotta be my problem". Well when I went to my Primary Care Dr, I told him that I had figured it out. I was so excited to FINALLY have an answer to this Hell that I was stuck in. My Doc listened to me and told me "well, your stomach produces bile so it's normal to be found in there". I was so shocked by that statement. This MD didn't even know basic workings of the Human body. The stomach does NOT make bile. It's made by your liver and stored in your gall bladder and then excreted into your small intestine below the stomach. He decided to send me out for an HIDA scan to check my gall bladder. While i was waiting for approval for that test, my burning got so bad that I went to the ER. They refused to scope me and did an Ultrasound on my gall bladder instead. Results were normal as I mentioned above. I now have a new GI Dr who is going to do an endoscopy on me at the end of July. OMG that's so far away. So I decided to see another GI Dr in the meantime and pay cash to see him. He listened to my whole story and refused to do an endoscopy on me even though I was going to pay him cash to do it. He instead gave me an RX for an anti-depressant. I told him that my burning was WAY worse than the last time they scoped me but he still said no and told me to try the anti-depressants instead. I told him that it's NOT "in my head" and that I needed him to get in there and see how bad it's become. He politely refused. I swear none of these so-called specialists know what the heck they are doing. If things keeps up like this, I might just need an anti-depressant. I am depressed now because NOBODY is helping me. It's become so bad now at night that I can't sleep. So I'm taking sleeping pills EVERY night just to be able to go to sleep. WHY WON'T ANYONE HELP ME!!!!!! Sorry I just had to vent a little. My experience in the past 10 months is that nobody really knows about Bile in the stomach issues. I tried to get back to the Dr that found the bile in my stomach but my insurance doesn't cover that Hospital anymore and they don't take cash patients. I have an HMO and it *****. When I get to switch, I'm going with a PPO for sure. I'm living a nightmare where nobody will help and they are just going to let it cause cancer or kill me before they do anything about it. It has stolen my whole life away from me. I'm ALWAYS sick and it's going on 11 months of Hell. I want my life back.
I just ordered a supplement called Trifalfa. There is nothing that gives me any relief. I do take slippery elm daily. I bought the powder and mix it with water a few times a day. It doesn't give me any relief but I'm hoping that it is at least protecting my stomach and esophagus from the bile. The trifalfa is on it's way and should be here by Friday. I'm hoping it helps me. I'm so desperate right now for any relief.