Gastroenterology Community
Bile duct problems?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bile duct problems?

I've been having pretty strong pain in my abdomen for several weeks.  It's kind of in the middle, sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left - in the upper area. It's a pressure kind of feeling - but fairly intense.  When I eat it's worse.  I haven't eaten anything but clear liquids for about five days.  I went to a Gastro doctor and he did an ultrasound and said it wasn't gallstones, but there was some problem with the bile duct going into the liver and one blood work related to the bile duct was slightly elevated.  He said maybe it was a stone blocking.  I looked up the symptoms for bile duct blockage and itching and jaundice were big symptoms.  Pain not so much.  I don't have itching or jaundice and have a fair amount of pain.  I'm scheduled for a MRCP tomorrow.  I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
Theres a chance that it can be your pancreas or your colon. I can't tell you much, without knowing your medical history. When I had issues with my gallbladder it was mostly at the ribs and up that the pain would go. I hope the doctors can find whats causing your pain.
I was diagnosed with an enlarged bile duct. I was reading about a bile duct preforation. What is that? Is an enlarged bile duct dangerous? My scan showed that my liver, gall bladder, kidneys were all normal. I was told that I may have passed a stone which caused the enlargement of the bile duct. This as been about 1.5 years now. I still have pain, especially when I eat nuts or drink coffee or eat some fried foods. What could it be? I have been taking alfalfa tablets which helps eleviate the pain completely, but it doesn't go away once they wear off.
Terry 7-10-07
I have had an MRI scan which showed a narrowing of the bile duct.
Anyone had this and what was the treatment if any?.  I've no pain to speak of and all bowel movements are normal.
I have itching around my lower legs and feet which can last for hours
Lawrence 10/07/10
It looks like I also have a narrowing of the bile duct, with three very small cysts. I also have not had any pain to speak of. It was identified after being diagnosed with an ulcer and the blood work showed higher then normal enzymes. I'm still trying to figure this all out myself at this point. Hopefully its better then what I've been reading on Google.

Lets keep each other up to date with the latest info. My next appointment is next Tuesday.