Gastroenterology Community
Bile in Stomach

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Bile in Stomach

I had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago. Instead of getting better, I got worse.  I can't eat nothing without getting sick and having dry heaves after two hours of eating. I had an upper GI today and the doctor said that there was bile in my stomach. That my body wasn't used to the gall bladder being gone and that the liver was putting it there. Will this get worse or better? I was wondering what should I do to help myself? and what to eat now? I am very scared. I have been sick for over three months and don't know what to do. I am very weak from the lack of food, and I don't what to do when I have the dry heaves.
Thanks,
Kandi

This discussion is related to Bile in stomach.
You poor thing......
It almost sounds like there's a blockage in your bile ducts.....and getting a "backflow" effect.....you may have a gallstone left over in your duct perhaps????? I'd be asking for an MRCP scan and/or ultrasound......but your GI doc should be giving you advice......

After having a gallbladder removed....a low fat diet is recommended as the body doesn't absorb fats the same way any more.....

I hope you feel better soon
Thank you for your reply

I have been to the ER twice because of the dry heaves and given meds and put on the B.R.A.T diet since it was two days after surgery. It has been two weeks now and still unable to eat and get sick to my stomach a lot. Dry heaving dizzy and very weak. The GI doctor did a endoscopy yesterday and said there was bile in my stomach and put me on Sucralfate 1 GM twice a day.  the med is used for, to treat ulcers in the intestines. Don't know how this is going to help but I am going to give it a try. Anyone one else ever use this med for bile in the stomach?  they have done lab work and my liver is good. So tired of being sicker then I was before the gallbladder was tooken out....don't know what else to do
This also happened to be i had mine out two weeks ago... the first week i was sick as a dog vomiting bile for 3 days...i also went to emerge for IV fluids as i wasnt eating and couldnt keep liquids down so i was dehydrated... my surgeon gave me a protoprozale for 2 weeks and i have been following a low fat diet...those pills helped with all the extra acid in stomach...he also gave me zofran for nausea and vomting which helped alot... I feel much better now and have finished the prescription for the acid pills...my blood tests were also normal... sounds like you are having same reaction as me...sometimes the antesethic can cause alot of problems for a couple weeks...did the IV fluids help at all?
They put me on the brat diet is almost next to nothing to eat. I am still having dry heaves the GI doctor wants me to start eating more food small amonuts 5 times a day and I am having a real hard time doing so.
I wake up in the morning dry heaving and just sick to my stomach and trying to eat, still low fat although they say you can start with more regular food after two weeks.  the IV fluids helped some. They told me to drink gatorade and lots of water which I have been doing.  Thanks so much for your reply.
may I ask what are you eating now? and the Zofran has not helped much I don't know what else to do. Trying everything to get better, ready to go back to the hospital and see what else is going on. I have been sick for over three months until they found the gall bladder and then been more sick since then. Tired of feelin this way.
Yes Kandi, you seem to be very sick.
I had my gallbladder removed almost three months ago. I had the same exact symptoms as you. They did an endoscopy on me and found bile and atrophic gastritis along with the h. Pylori virus. I took the antibiotics for the virus and I thought I was going to die. They also put me on Sucralfate once before bedtime. My GI doctor said he was only going to treat my symptoms. Well, I've already lost 30lbs since surgery and I can't lose anymore. The Sucralfate has helped but I'm not 100%. I can't eat more than 1000 calories a day. I can't eat anything that contains fat, no diary, no meat, no acidic fruits, no coffee, no caffeine, no chocolate, no alcohol. I can tolerate stemmed vegetables and some fruits. Some bread, white rice, and potatoes are manageable. If I eat outside of these guidelines, I get a sharp pain in my liver for the rest of the day and my stomach gets very bloated. I'm going to see another GI specialist to get a second opinion because I really can't go on like this.