Gastroenterology Community
Bilirubin levels after Gall Bladder removal

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

a year ago I had my Gall Bladder removed.
I just had a blood test, and the T Bilirubin is "Out of Range" at 1.4 mg/dl when the range is (0.2-1.2).
is there a connection between the surgery and the test result.
The component that is elevated in your case is the 'total' bilirubin. This reflects liver cell metabolism, not the fraction that has undergone processing outside of the liver (direct bilirubin).

If the liver is irritated, the total bilirubin may rise. That suggests that the problem is happening at the site of the liver and not from processes going on outside of the liver, such as at the gallbladder.

When the direct bilirubin fraction is elevated, the cause is usually outside the liver.

However, something may be 'feeding back' outside the liver (in the common bile duct perhaps) that may effect the liver. Only more testing is going to give you a true answer.