Black Specks in Stool
I am currently being treated for dyspepsia and gastritis and began taking omeprazole. In addition, I was constipated for a few days however had a BM yesterday. HOwever, there were black specks in my BM. BM was normal in color and texture however, black specks in stool and on toilet tissue? Is this the IBS adn result of constipation and omeprazole?    
Hi there!

This is unlikely to be the effect of either constipation or omeprazole. The occurrence of black/ brown stools is known as melaena and indicates the presence of blood (oxidized haemoglobin) from an upper GI bleed or the presence of a coloring agent like beet root or iron supplements in it. Causes could be infections, inflammation, gastric/ GI ulcers, oesophageal varices, GI growths/ polyps, a-v malformations, varices, diverticulosis, fistulas, fissures, AV malformation, GI ischaemia and necrosis, etc. Without further evaluation it would be difficult to differentiate between the causes. It would be best to get this evaluated by a primary care physician or a gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Hope this is helpful.

Take care.

I saw my Atlanta are Gastro today. He said 'black specks' in a normal looking stool is undigested food fibers from things like bananas or veggies and no concern.
he didn't say he had black stool ,he said black flakes and his stools were of normal color,   are you stupid doc?