Gastroenterology Community
Black Tea & ULCERS

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Black Tea & ULCERS

Does anyone know if TEA, like red rose or earl grey with cafiene in them, is it good or bad for ULCERS?

There seems to be conflicting articles about this when I do searches on the computer. ( side note: I have not been properly diagnosed with an Ulcer but my doctor has always susspected I have one. Since taking all ulcer medication known out there, I have only become much worse and allergic to these meds. So I discontinued them last December)

Still, main topic is should I quit drinking my 3-4 cups of tea daily that seem to make my stomach feel better ? Or do I just want to beleieve that?
First of all, if it is suspected you have an ulcer, have they checked for h. pylori? Also has the doctor suggested getting an upper endoscopy to rule out anything more serious?

I would eliminate ALL caffeine from your diet at this point. Caffeine is an irritant and will probably make things worse, especially if you also have gastritis. You can try decaf teas like Rooibos (all the advantages of green tea, none of the caffeine, naturally) and see whether that helps. But I implore you to ask for an upper GI series to make sure it's nothing more serious, especially if you're not reacting well to the ulcer meds.
What about Decafinated Red Rose Tea?

I have had a Barium swallow and a Barium enema, CT scan on stomach which found my Cavernous Hemngioma growing and cycts in my tubes. (nothing too major ) The tests cam out normal besides. Had a Hyda scan but no one got backk to me on it and that was like a month ago. Must be fine I guess.

I am booked for a endoscope which will also take a biopsy on June 13.

Thanks for your input so fast!

Oh yes, I have been checked for Pylori and it was negative.
I think decaf products should be fine. However, my only concern is that "decaf" usually still includes a bit of caffeine (very tiny amount).
The best way to find out what this tea makes to you, is, if you drop it for a while (a week?) and then try it again and observe pain in the stomach.

Caffeine and teine in the black tea were once said to be a serious cause of gastric ulcer, but today's medical opinions put much less weight on this. Black tea may excite you in the way that you excrete more acid.

On the other hand, the tea may form a thin film which covers and protect your gastric mucosa.

Honestly, if you describe a lot of sensitivity, I'm not sure if you need a stimulant.

I discovered after years of bladder pain and taking medication for it, that the lining of my bladder was full of open sores and the cause was black tea. I stopped drinking black tea and it all healed up after a few months. It never returned. Now when I drink a cup or two of black tea (even high quality loose tea) the bladder reacts (flare up). I can drink green tea no problem, but not black or puerh tea. Certain food additives seem to have the same effect. I suspect you may have a sensitivity to black tea as well and should stop. Drink green tea instead.