Gastroenterology Community
Bloating, gas, cramps and irregularity?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Bloating, gas, cramps and irregularity?

For the last several weeks, I have been experiencing rather severe, smelly flatulence, extreme abdominal bloating (so much so that it is quite noticeable - I'm a relatively skinny guy, at 5'8" and 130LBS, and I look like an example of a distended gut due to malnourishment with the severity of the bloating) and irregularity, ranging between constipation and diarrhea at times. I am an athlete (cross country runner, training at around 30-40 miles per week) and consume protein-rich products on a regular basis: PowerBar protein bars, CLIF protein supplement bars, etc. I feel that consuming lactose definitely worsens my symptoms, but I seem to experience them intermittently regardless of my consumption of dairy products. Any advice on how to reduce these symptoms would be greatly appreciated, as they have begun to interfere pretty heavily with my social life, and are generally extremely unpleasant.
Related Discussions
  • gas (3 replies):
    I have so much gas it just lingers. It is driving me cr...[more]
  • gas (3 replies):
    sometime i get gas buildup in my stomach that is very pa...[more]
  • what is wrong with me (1 replies):
    Hi i am 26 and i have struggled for several years with d...[more]
  • pains in my back (3 replies):
    I have IBS. I get every once in a while, extreme rumbli...[more]
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  For starters, I would eliminate all lactose.  You'd be surprised how many things contain lactose.  This probably means eliminating most of your protein bars that contain any lactose (there are some out there that don't contain lactose).  I would also make an appointment to see your doctor about this.
Blank
I am a 49 year old female.  For the last few weeks, I been experiencing a lot of constipation, bloating, excessive burping but what is alarming me is that for the last three days I have pain under my right ribs that irradiate to the back.  I feel a burning sensation in my stomach and dull pain on my right pelvic area like (ovulating) but I dont have any ovaries.
Blank
681148_tn?1285160820
Food intolerances/sensitivities are a bane to people with GI issues.  However, it's a fact of life, whether we like it or not.  I have found a great site that has good and useful information about those food sensitivities that plague most of us with GI issues.  This website also has some basic information on avoidance and elimination diets.  Very helpful information for anyone with IBS, IBS/GERD and/or migraines.  Here is the website:  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30
Blank
Please post your question on a separate post.  Thanks!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...