Gastroenterology Community
Bloating and Hardness 4 months after laproscopic appendectomy

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello, I am a 26 year old female and had a laproscopic appendectomy October 10, 2008 and four months later I experience bloating and hardness after I eat and drink anything. I went back to my gastro and surgeon and they stated that they think I have IBS. I don't know what is going on but after every meal I look as if I am at least 4 months pregnant and I am so uncomfortable. I don't know what more to do because no further tests were run after my surgery or my complaints. Am I to be worried? I think that something is seriously wrong with my abdomen. Also, I know I had stitches for the deep tissue but why is my naval area still so sensitive?
If one of the incisions for the laproscope were near your naval, you could have an infection going on.  But if the gastro and surgeon didn't detect it, perhaps not.  One time I got bloated and coughed, and wound up with a minor umbilical hernia, and it hurt for a couple weeks and then went away.  

What I really think is going on is, usually you have to take a bunch of antibiotics and pain pills after an op like that.  Those drugs can cause your symptoms.  There are two things caused by those meds, and these are relatively simple things that you can fix on your own.

First, antibiotics kill off both good and bad bacteria in the guts.  To restore the good bacteria, you can eat Activia yogurt or drink Acidophilus milk for a couple weeks.  Second, pain meds can dry out a person and cause constipation, so to relieve that, you should drink lots of extra water, eat more fiber like oat and wheat grain bread or cereal (and put chopped prunes and blueberries on the cereal), and do daily stretching exercise for a couple weeks, too.  You could also try some enemas and laxatives to get your bowels moving more regularly too.

Thank you for responding and I will try and follow all of your suggestions. Take care
I'm interested to know how your stomach healed? I'm having the same symptoms 4 months after my appendectomy. Hardness and swelling around stomach incision. I'm very bothered by it and my doctor thinks its edema. I have a feeling its not edema and hope it heals soon.  Your response would be appreciated.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers