Gastroenterology Community
Blood/ Mucus in Bowel Movements.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood/ Mucus in Bowel Movements.

Im 16, Female and for the past week or so I have been in Severe pain in the morning, lasting up to about 2 hours. I have had one episode at night.
I feel the pain between where my hips are, basically right in the center of there. I have thought I could be pregnant, as I skipped a few birth control or took them late.
I have thought about going to a doctor but my dad thinks this will just go away in time and that it could be something I am eating.
But the next thing is that when I have gone to the bathroom in recent days I have seen blood and small clear mucus looking stuff in the movements I have had. This disturbs me and makes me wonder what it could be. The pain is so harsh I would like to take care of it. Could it be something serious? What could be the diagnoses?
Allo,

well first cute drawings you have there..

umm on your situation..usually mucus in stool means either obsruction or food allergy/intolerance.  Is the blood bright red?  Dark?  Usually the darker the color the higher up the "tailpipe" the problem is, so super dark stools are usually ulcers.  I think usually with mucus..pain..blood you're talking about possible chron's disease/colitis of some sort, esp. if your pain is down lower like you said.  Could also be caused by diverticulitis/osis which is from straining too much and lack of fiber in your diet.  Could be a fissure if the blood is bright red (basically a tear near the opening..gross but it happens..course you're way too young to be having these problems already).  You could be lactose intolerant or something in your diet is causing you to have constipation.

Sometimes colitis is caused by infection or just happens.  Blood is never normal and you should go see a doctor/ Gi specialist sadly.  In the meantime you can *try* going to the store and getting some non-allergenic fiber like phsyllium husk, or citrucel and start one scoop a day to take pressure off the colon.  That's the first step and what any GI specialist will tell you.  Mass water..and after a week or so work up to 2 scoops.  For sure from this point on you don't want to *strain* at all anymore or else it'll get worse.  Another safe remedy long term is miralax..you just drink it with any juice or water and it's tasteless basically..mix a full cup.  You just need to take some pressure off the colon wall but you still need to see a doctor.  

If it persists you're looking at a colonoscopy to truly find out what's going on, so hopefully your parents have you insured, but since your pain is down low it might be viewable from a flexible sigmoid scope and such...

anyway so yeah moral of the story is more fiber..more water, stop dairy and hope it gets better but honestly you should see a pro like a gi specialist because it could me chron's or diverticulitis/colitis...bunch of things.  Don't think cancer is an option unless you have family history but you're too young.

get better!
this could be something completly unscary....you might just need to change you're eating habits honestly. I get the same thing and it's completly what i eat (live on a college campus and try to eat a balanced diet, HA!). Id say try getting a stool softner type thing (try Mirolax, doesnt taste gross and u can mix it into any drink) It should help the bleeding and some of the pain....dont know how you eat, but try staying away from foods that will bind you up for a while because you're body might be having a hard time processing it. Honestly...the majority of my firneds at school have to take stuff because they have this problem because the food at school is so bad and if thats all you life off you're gonna have problems..hope this helps! Feel better!
Thanks. I recently stopped eating my yogurt because they put fruit in it, it was fiber one or something like that. And that was my fiber everyday. I will see if I can get some fiber somehow though.
You're welcome, Stellar is probably right it's probably nothing serious other than a bad diet..hopefully you're not fructose intolerant like I am..I have severe constipation too so I have to use fiber..lots of water and avoid fruits so ...yeah..do whatever you can to take the pressure off from straining and I think you'll feel better but it takes time and work sadly :S