Gastroenterology Community
Blood In Stool?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood In Stool?

Hi Everybody,

I am 30 year old woman and I did started a new low carb diet if that has anything to do with it or helps out in anyway.  The other day when I went number 2 a little bit of the stool was a mucus like texture with very little light red in it.  This morning I had to go number 2 really bad but I could not get in the bathroom right away because it was already preoccupied. So I ended up holding for a short amount of time.  When I got in there it kinda hurt at first to go and there was a lot of stool. When I wiped there was a deeper color of red blood on the tissue.  The second time I wiped there was no blood on the tissue at all.  When I looked into the bowl in some areas of my stool there were little spots of blood (Maybe like 3 or 4 small spots of blood).  All of this is really makes me worry. Are these two related? Is The Second Incident This morning  From Me Holding It In For A  Short Amount Of Time? What Could This Be?  Could It Be Cancer Related?  
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  A low-carb diet can cause constipation (because you have less fiber in your diet) which can lead to problems like hemorrhoids which can cause bleeding.  I would recommend that you see your doctor about this to get it checked out.  I do not think that this is cancer related, but you should still get it checked out.