Gastroenterology Community
Blood in Stool / Stomach Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood in Stool / Stomach Pain

I am a 22-year-old female. I have an Hypothyroidism and take Levothyroxine.

On Monday night/Tuesday morning I had quite a lot of blood come out when I went to the toilet, enough to turn the toilet water red. I became worried and wanted to go to a doctor but I wasn't able to get an appointment. A few hours later I went again because I had stomach ache, but no blood at all came out that time, so I thought maybe I had popped a vessel or something and stopped worrying so hard. However, today it has happened again - when I went to the toilet I had blood with my stool.

The blood only comes with a bowel movement and stops quickly. I can't really tell if it is mixed in with the stool but it doesn't appear to be. It is usually a bright or normal colour.

The two times I have gone this week have been accumpanied by stomach pain, I don't know if that's a coincidence or not... I have had these types of stomach pains before, they are like intense cramps usually ending in diahrea, and when I have had them before - wether I have gone to the toilet or not - there has been no blood.

I have had this problem before, about a year ago, once or twice. I went to the walk-in clinic and they examined me briefly but said nothing seemed to be the problem. The blood just stopped and it hadn't happened until recently. My stools have been rather odd for a few months, diahrea then constipation, constantly different. I have been going through a lot of stress and change so far this year.

Obviously I intend to see a doctor ASAP, but I am really scared. I do feel I could have torn myself down there, but I can't rule out more serious problems. Does anyone know what all of this seems most likely to be?
It had been four-ish days, with nothing, and then the blood came again, seemingly randomly. I got it three times the other day, two of which came without a bowel movement which I've never had before, as I explained in the text. : (

Any help appriciated.
Rectal bleeding is never  normal and should always be medically investigated.  Google rectal bleeding and click on to one of the many sites that describe this condition so that you are better informed when you discuss with your doctor.  The Medicinenet site is particularly informative.

Hopefully your doctor will identify the cause as minor (e.g. anal fissure or haemorrhoids) but if he/she is uncertain then maybe request a colonoscopy under supervision/diagnosis from a specialist G.I. consultant.
You are very young to be a candidate for the more sinister diseases such as colon cancer unless there is a history of colon cancer in your family.  

regards
Morecambe
Thanks for the advice. Just waiting on an appointment. At least there has been no more blood since then.
I'm on Levothyroxine for my thyroid and I have never had blood in my stool. the only time I see blood is when I wipe so maybe you are having hemroid problems like I do.
Oh, you get blood from wiping too? Is that linked to Thyroxine or the thyroid problem at all? But yeah, I'm hoping so.
sounds like IBS irritable bowel syndrome, which I get sometimes.  The blood could be because of piles (haemeroids).  see the article here on this topic.