Gastroenterology Community
Blood in Stool after soda or coffee

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood in Stool after soda or coffee

Drink soda, get blood in stool. Drink coffee, get blood in stool. Is it the acid?

I have pretty much stopped drinking coffee for 2 months, but soda is at times hard to resist. I sometimes have a single soda on a weekend, but never drink more than 1 a week. I recently had a Sprite on a near empty stomach, and sure enough I have blood in my stool. The stool is your regular brown color, but theres some red "in" it. Like a ribbon of red inside the stool.

When I stay away from soda/coffee, I'm fine. Is this something major? Or is it as easy as, "some people get this when they drink a drink containing acid. Stay away from soda/coffee all together and you'll be fine"?

Could this be linked to the way my head has been feeling lately? See this thread
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/728422
I'm glad you posted this thread.  I have been experiencing the same problems you have been for the past 2 years.   sometimes it will go away for a month then just come back for no reason.   plus it just hit me all of the sudden, it was like i was fine one day then the next everthing went down hill.  I have had the corrodid dopller, 2-D echo, 24 hr. holter monitor, MRI of my brain, electrocardiogram, and a host of blood test all of which are normal.  I even get the blood in my stool from time to time and this didn't start until i was having these lightheaded symptoms.  

My uncle was diagnosed with a rare disease call Brugada Syndrome which effects the rythm of your heart and can kill you without any warning signs.  He was having a lot of the same symptoms and all of his tests were coming back normal, but unless you are looking for this syndrome it can be easily over looked.  Go to Brugada.org and do some research and see about getting checked out.  There is a simple blood test that can look for a genetic marker to see if you are a carrier.  I am getting tested next week for Brugada, but I hope this is not what it is.  If these test come back negative I might start looking into a parasite cleanse.  Parasites can live in you undetected for years and cause a lot of the same symptoms we are having.  I really don't know what else to do, but i know I'm getting tired of feeling this way.  Good Luck and I hope you feel better
Hey,

Thanks for posting. This seems like the only page which describes my situation too! Everytime I drink any aerated drinks, I have blood in my stool. The remaining times, I'm completely fine.

Did you ever figure out why this happens? If so, please post and let me know!