Gastroenterology Community
Blood in Stool

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood in Stool

About a day ago I notice a large amount of bright red blood in my stool all of a sudden. I felt fine afterwards, not dizzy or sick and I'm thinking its most likely hemorrhoids because my doctor diagnosed me with them a few years ago, however back then there would only be a little amount of blood. This time its almost like it flows with the bowel movement. The next day it was the same... I was wondering if this was a verry serious problem and if I should see my doctor immediatly or if it could just be a raptured hemorrhoid. Also, I'm pretty young (20 yrs old female).
Rectal bleeding is never normal and you should always seek medical advice.  For possible causes google rectal bleeding and click on to one of the many sites - the Medicinenet site is particularly informative.

You should ask the doctor what is the maximum amount of blood loss expected from a ruptured haemorrhoid and, if you feel that you lost more blood than this, I suggest that you ask the doctor to investigate other causes from within the bowel perhaps even via a colonoscopy.

regards
Morecambe
Sounds like a ruptured hemorrhoid or an anal fissure.  Nothing serious but you should see your doctor.