Gastroenterology Community
Blood on toilet paper when I wipe over several years

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hi, I'm 23 years old, and over the past 3-4 years I've had blood on my toilet paper when I wipe, for pretty much every time I've looked.  It's never a huge amount, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.  I am in good health, don't eat junk food, and I'm not super-athletic, but I work in construction and do stay fit from that.  

I've never thought it was a big deal, but lately it's just been on my mind.

There is blood from the first wipe all the way to the last... I usually dab a few times to try and dry it up from around my anus.  It's never been to the point where it drips into the toilet bowl, and I've never noticed and blood in my stool... well, maybe a couple times.  Honestly I've only examined my stool a few times.  I like to just flush the problem away...lol.  

Um, I am hoping it is something minor that can be treated, but from all the minor cases I've read about it only lasts for a couple of days maybe a week or two.... I would like to go to the doctor about it, and will do so this fall when school starts (insurance).  Until then maybe someone could give me some advice and maybe help me figure out what it is.... and maybe tell me it isn't colon cancer :-S what are the symptoms of that?  I've never blacked out from it or anything, I dunno... just looking for some re-assurance, and some more applicable symptoms of what the different causes could be.

Thanks a lot.
Tags: Blood, wipe, anus, Colon
Hi - rectal bleeding is never normal and should always be investigated.  At your age you are likely to be too young to have developed some of the more sinister conditions such as colon cancer.

However, you must visit your doctor and, unless he/she is able to be sure that the cause of the bleeding is minor (such as haemhorroids on an anal fissure) then I suggest that you ask for a colonoscopy which is probably the most comprehensive test and should be able to afford to you maximum reassurance.

Good luck
Morecambe