Blood on toilet paper
I am a 53 year old woman and i have on occassions noticed bright red blood on the toilet paper after passing a motion.  The stools appeared to be normal colour. Sometimes my stools are hard and i need to strain other times they are fairly soft, it is on the occassions that they are firm and i stain that sometimes i find blood on the toilet paper, but this normally only lasts for a day, then i can go months with no sign of blood.   I seem to remember that the very first time i noticed blood on the toilet paper after passing a motion is about 10 years or so ago. I was diagnosed with haemeroids many years ago after a pregnancy, my oldest child is now 24.  Is what i am experiencing just recurrent internal haemeroids?
It could be hemorrhoids, but the only way to be sure about what is going on is to check with your doc.
Further to Calgal's comments, I would suggest that unless your doctor in 100% certain that the cause is minor (such as haemorrhoids or anal fissure etc) you insist on a colonoscopy.

Good luck
Morecambe