Gastroenterology Community
Blood when pooping

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Blood when pooping

There seems to be blood on my stool when I poop.  It appears to come out with the stool instead of in the stool, but it's kinda hard to tell.  About a year ago, I thought I had an anal fissure because it hurt when I pooped and there was sometimes blood.  Later I realized that I had a hemorrhoid, although I never noticed blood again after I noticed the lump.  For the last week or two my hemorrhoid has been gone (finally!), so I was surprised when blood started showing up a couple of days ago.  What's odd is that there is no pain associated with this blood.  In fact, I pooped the most blood yet just now and the stool was very soft and went through very easily.  The blood is not a lot.  A little drips into the bowl when I poop and my first wipe gets a decent coat of red paint, but that's all.

Anybody know what this could be?  Should I see a doctor?  If so, would I go to my university's physician first and let him refer me to a specialist, or should I look for a specialist myself?

I'm a 20 year old male, good health.
Firstly if the blood is bright red and is not actually in your stool then it is very probably coming from your rear end as opposed to further up in the system in which case it would be very dark red or black.
You say that your haemorrhoid cleared up, I am not aware of them clearing up on their own once you have got them. So it is very likely that the blood is coming from your haemorrhoid.
You should go and see your doctor just in case but if there are no other issues then it seems very likely that the haemorrhoid is the culprit.
Good luck.
I agree in that it sounds like a hemm, but you should get it checked out for peace of mind.
I don't think it's a dark red, definitely not black.  So even though the hemorrhoid seems to be gone (I don't feel the lump when I wipe anymore), the hemorrhoid may be causing the bleeding?  If it is the hemorrhoid, what should I do?  I really haven't been doing anything for my hemorrhoid so far except not sitting on hard surfaces too long and eating fiber.
I agree that it is likely hemorrhoids. Suggest you first try some home treatments. There are some in the market can really work and the most important, treat the root causes of hemorrhoids, not just pain relief. Hope you can try